Go Back   Computer Forums > Web Design | Website Development > Web Programming
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-05-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
In Runtime
Send a message via AIM to Daeva Send a message via MSN to Daeva Send a message via Yahoo to Daeva
Default Javascript jump form elements

Just thought i'd share this.
Okay, I was playing around in javascript for a project i'm working on and I came upon a problem, which I have come accross before. Here is the problem:

4 form fields, each having a maxlength of 3 and a minimum length of 1.
The fields are IP address octets. for example.
each of the 4 form fields holds 1 octet(up to 3 digits).
But it's a pain to have to type in 1, 2, or 3 digits and then hit the tab key to go to the next field, or to use the mouse to get to the next field. Sooo, I used a little trial an error and some javascript to make the form automatically send you to the next field. Here is the full html page i used to test it.

<?xml version="1.0" charset="iso-8859-1"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" dir="ltr" lang="en-us" xml:lang="en-us">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1;" />
<title>Test form elements</title>
<script type="text/javascript">
function nextElement(obj, e) {
var replaceText = new String("");
document.getElementById("outputSpan").innerHTML = "You are in " + obj.id.toString() + ": " + e.keyCode + "Index number " + getIndex(obj); // used for debugging
	if (navigator.appName == "Opera" && navigator.appVersion >= "9") {
	 if (e.keyCode == 78 || e.keyCode == 46) {
	 replaceText = obj.text;
	 obj.text = replaceText.replace("."," ");
	 } else {
	 } // end else
	} else {
	 if (e.keyCode == 110 || e.keyCode == 190) { //the . symbol has 2 different ways of being pressed on standard keyboards.
	 replaceText = obj.value;
	 obj.value = replaceText.replace("\.","");
	 document.forms[0].elements[getIndex(obj)+1].focus(); // set focus to next element
	 } // end if
	} // end if
} // end function nextElement
function getIndex(input) { // get index searches your form for a match
	 Javascript's API doesn't provide a method(that is supported accross multiple platforms) to return the index of the element we are talking about. So this method takes a brute force approach to finding the element's index, which we will use to skip to the next element.
	var index = new Number(0);
	for(index = 0; index < document.forms[0].length; index++) { // while we still have form elements
	 if (document.forms[0].elements[index] == input) {
	 return index;
	 } // end if
	} // end for loop
} // end function getIndex
<form id="form1" name="form1" method="POST" action="">
<div id="mainDiv">
	<table id="mainTable" name="mainTable">
		<td colspan="2" valign="bottom" align="center" style="text-align: center;">
		 Testing auto-tab form elements
		<td colspan="1" valign="top" align="left">
		 <label for="field1">Fields</label>
		<td colspan="1" valign="top" align="left">
		 <input id="field1" name="field1" type="text" style="width: 30px;" maxlength="3" onkeyup="nextElement(this, event);" />
		 <input id="field2" name="field2" type="text" style="width: 30px;" maxlength="3" onkeyup="nextElement(this, event);" />
		 <input id="field3" name="field3" type="text" style="width: 30px;" maxlength="3" onkeyup="nextElement(this, event);" />
		 <input id="field4" name="field4" type="text" style="width: 30px;" maxlength="3" onkeyup="nextElement(this, event);" />
		<td colspan="2" valign="top" align="left">
		 <span id="outputSpan"></span>
The javascript works in I.E 6+, Firefox 1.5+, and Opera 9+ The only problem with opera is I can't get the . to be removed from the text field. For example, lets say you enter 124 in the first box and 12 in the second box. the second box will still contain a period in Opera(still working on fixing that). Otherwise, it's a pretty stable and usefull script. You can customize it to "auto-tab" to the next form field using any character.
**Official Self-proclaimed glorified excessive (insert additional adjectives here) post editor/modifier.
Edit = Best feature ever
Daeva is offline   Reply With Quote