I want to learn how to program/make websites but have no idea where to start

gfrant

Beta member
That's basically about it. I have very limited knowledge of programming ( I only know a little HTML ) and I have no idea where to start.

html/php are the main ways of making web pages right? How did you guys go about learning these? Where should I start? Should I read a book? Take a class?

Thanks for all your help!

Ask around. I'm not very fluent with programming language, but if you ask around, I'm sure someone will assist you :)

If you don't know any programming languages the best thing for you would to build a site on yahoo they do all the programming for you and it's fun. As you learn to program they even allow you to edit the code. The best part of it is free.

You'll get more out of web programming and making websites if you actually learn how to code. Then you won't be limited by other people's templates. It takes time but the payoffs are big.

Read a beginner's HTML/XHTML book. Then move on to CSS, Javascript or PHP. If you have $$$ and access to a class, that would be good, too, but have some books around for reference.

Making a website on Yahoo is fun, but it won't really teach you anything about programming or how to make a website. But if all you want to do is make a website then it's a good place to go.

Or a proper language like ASPX :D

But yeah, you can only really learn how to program by programming. Books can help, and there are a whole load of great books available on XHTML, CSS, JavaScript and ASP.NET. If you just sit down and think of something you'd like to build, then get doing it and using MSN Search a little to see how you can do some of the bits you'll be off in no time.

I found Frontpage to be of great help in learning how to code. You get to learn it the visual way, and then you decide maybe you want to be quicker, so you go into the code and move some things. Eventually you can see what pieces of code will look like because you started off visually, and all you'll use Frontpage for is Previewing.

Back
Top Bottom