Go Back   Computer Forums > Web Design | Website Development > Web Programming
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-17-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Question Help with jGlide Menu/javascript

I found this free code for a slide menu that will work perfectly in my website, but I cannot seem to get the links to open up into the other frame. The javascript code is very hard to decipher. I am trying to learn it and have been alterng things as I figure them out, but cannot find this function. The menu items need to load in the "upper" target page (which is the one to the right). Here is a link:
www.http://janhare.com/index2.html

Can anyone help?

---Some really ancient desktop computers with outdated processors, memory, and operating systems, a 7 year old Dell laptop that is so slow my one-legged brother can outrun it, and a new Dell Studio Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 2.8GHz 1066Mhz 6M L2 Cache, 8GB, DDR2 800MHZ 2 DIMM and most importantly a cool purple-striped lid---
CoolRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
Site Team

Default Re: Help with jGlide Menu/javascript

At a quick glance I'm not entirely sure how to alter JQuery to get it to show in a separate frame - it's not something I've ever done.

However, taking a step back for a bit, there's a good reason why I (and probably most others) won't have done it. Frames are evil and you REALLY shouldn't be using them these days.

I'd seriously reconsider redesigning the site without them - it shouldn't be a huge hassle, and it'll make things look a lot nicer too...

berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
Baseband Member

How would you recommend redesigning the site? I have a LOT of pages in the menu and they are always changing, so I don't want a menu placed on every individual page or it will take me a week to update them all every time I add or subtract a page. Do you have a recommendation for me?

OK, and why does everyone call frames 'evil'? I've heard that before, and wondered.
---Some really ancient desktop computers with outdated processors, memory, and operating systems, a 7 year old Dell laptop that is so slow my one-legged brother can outrun it, and a new Dell Studio Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 2.8GHz 1066Mhz 6M L2 Cache, 8GB, DDR2 800MHZ 2 DIMM and most importantly a cool purple-striped lid---
Old 12-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
How would you recommend redesigning the site? I have a LOT of pages in the menu and they are always changing, so I don't want a menu placed on every individual page or it will take me a week to update them all every time I add or subtract a page.
Before the advent of server side languages like PHP, this was a perfectly acceptable way of doing things - but no longer. With a single "require" statement on each page you can load the same menu in from a single file on the server directly into the page - no frames needed. Then you just need to update it from one place.

As for why frames are evil - well they look horrible, they muck up printing and bookmarking, search engines hate them, they make the user experience more cluttered - the list goes on. There's a pretty good article here on the reasons

P.S. You might want to fix the link in your first post!

P.P.S (and completely off topic!) :
Quote:
a 7 year old Dell laptop that is so slow my one-legged brother can outrun it
You might want to consider rethinking that. Most people I know can outrun IBM's collection of supercomputers
Old 01-13-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
Baseband Member

OK, can someone help me figure this out? I have a big, extensive menu and it is always changing, and I have a TON of pages. Putting a menu on every single page would be insanely impossible as the menu is constantly being updated and changed. Currently I have the menu inside of a left frame.
Please check it out: www.janhare.com
Is there a way with CSS or something I can make a constant menu in another file, and have it be updated/changed on every page when I change the main menu file?
Old 01-14-2010, 08:26 AM   #6
Site Team

As I said above, you'll want to use a server side language for this these days. Just code your menu in a separate PHP file, then in the php file for each page put:
Code:
require("menu.php");
...where you want the menu to go on each page.

CSS is something completely different - that deals with the presentation side of web pages. It's not what you want here.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
Baseband Member

That sounds like something I can use. Do you know of any webpages offhand that do this that I could look at and see how it works for them?
Old 01-14-2010, 01:39 PM   #8
Site Team

The best place to look for PHP tutorials is generally w3schools
Old 01-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #9
Baseband Member

Thank you so much! That helps a lot!!! Off to go experiment....
Old 04-01-2010, 06:44 AM   #10
Beta Member

Hello! Being an I.T. student, i have found a lot of help from this forum so far. Keep up doing the good work and sharing it with one another.

leomartin6 is offline   Reply With Quote