Flash Tutorial

Techy Geek

Daemon Poster
Hi, I know this isn't technically web programming, but you can do it with flash.
I have put together a tutorial on beginning flash for webmonkey, so I decided to make it a website and put the links here. So if you wish to learn how to do simple animation, here's the place

The tutorial - http://b.1asphost.com/brookdesign/flatut1.htm
The files needed - http://www.imagecabinet.net/files/51/Files for Tutorial.zip

This tutorial assumes only 2 things:
1. This tutorial was designed for Macromedia Flash MX 2004 Pro, but Flash 8 is the same for most purposes, and what this tutorial covers should not be different to what happens on Flash 8, same sort of principles really (I've never actually really looked)
2. That you are completely new to flash

Enjoy.... :D

N.B Some of the pages may take some time to load, as there are loads of screenshots. :(

Please post feedback so I can improve it :cool:

just to add to your tutorial.
swf plays on any compuyter that has a flash player instaled, this includes MACs...

however if there is no flash player no flash animation can be seen.

Jpeg is a compressed image format, it's the default for interchangability on the internet, (thats the point) it has a high compression ratio so that you can store large files in a relativly small space...

PNG is portable network graphics, it has simillar quality to gifs but compresses smaler.

Good tutorial though.

hi. i am new to flash and have no clue how to make anay swf(flash images).
i have my own site www.streets-of-ni.com i am wanting to make a flash file for my
index.php what programm wuld i need? and also can i get a guide how to make anamations

You need flash, currently it's on version 8.0 (flash, not flash player), its rather expensive at US $699
website for it is here
you can download a 30 day trial version here
and if you like it you can buy it later

root said:
just to add to your tutorial.
swf plays on any compuyter that has a flash player instaled, this includes MACs...

however if there is no flash player no flash animation can be seen.

Jpeg is a compressed image format, it's the default for interchangability on the internet, (thats the point) it has a high compression ratio so that you can store large files in a relativly small space...

PNG is portable network graphics, it has simillar quality to gifs but compresses smaler.

Good tutorial though.

I am Pretty Sure that PNG has a Lot Higher quality than GIF, Correct me if im wrong, though.

To be honest, I'm not sure, I'm not an expert on file types, and don't claim to be... that may be the case though :D

Thats the only help I can offer, lol

Flash is one of my specialties. If anyone needs help, PM me.
PS. Yeah, I think PNG's are WAY higher quality. GIF's algorithm (LZW) is done.
If I remember correctly (but correct me if i'm wrong)...

GIF's max out at 256 colors? (8 bits)
PNG's max out at 65,536 is it? (16 bits)

PNG's are sweet ;)

Yeh. i SWEAR by PNG. Here are the problems with Gif and JPEG

Gif: Not enough colours makes it go crappy :)
JPEG: Okay for Images, but Text Bleach/Blend's in (I have forgotten the word :D)
PNG: Small File sizes, Exellent Quality, Loads of Colours. I THINK you can animate them too.....

Never use PNG's on the web unless you really need to. They slow down load times extremely bad. The best option is really jpg for web design.

And if you use a lot of png's in your flash video, yeah, the final thing will be huge.

I don't think you went over too much about the library in your tutorial, and that's really the most important thing when dealing with lots of objects. Unless I missed it, a tutorial about how the library works would be awesome. Oh and buttons, and movie clip objects, those are always fun.

Flash is what got me into computers actually. :)

Back
Top Bottom