My Tutorial Site

Your best bet is to check another tutorial website's TOS and use it as a template.

Also, these links may help you:
http://www.bennadel.com/coldfusion/privacy-policy-generator.htm

http://www.webmasters-cavern.com/tools/tosgen/index.php

These should get your started on a template, and then you can change the verb-age as necessary.

Hope that helps, I hate the legal side of web-development.

Also nothing is wrong with using a CMS (I use many of them). They guy who gets the business and knows his stuff is the guy who can fix the CMS when it does something the customer doesn't like. ;). Generic CMS applications are well suited for this type of thing. I think the fundamental element you need (speaking in general, not about you specifically) is an intellectual curiosity and a general love of problem solving, thats what gets you far. <-- Just my two cents.

Just to let everyone know...
I think pre-made/open source, cms's; are a good thing, and it does help out those who don't know what the hell they are doing. But I see no understanding of someone who wants to brag that they know how to do stuff, if they really don't... I also see no reason, nor would I understand; why someone would use open source material then not allow people to post open source material; if it is open source, it is open source period. Plus, if the entire design, and site is used by hundreds or thousands of different people all over the net, then what in the hell is wrong with have some content that is view from other sources of the net? (guru, it was not directed to you, I have seen many people who do it)
Also, I will not give someone a good review for work they did not do, I will give the respect and good review to those who made it possible to begin with. That is basically like plagiarism. If you come here or anywhere, trying to express your good work, when the work in fact was actually done by someone else and all you did was set it up, and set a few settings... How is it that you did the work? Honestly, if I saw a crappy looking website, that was done by hand, or at least done by the person (i.e. dreamweaver), they will have much more respect from me then a person who uses open source material. Though yes I don't like things like dreamweaver, but I will say that at least the person had to do something...

Guru - Firstly, when doing a ToS, you have to know the laws of the internet, and you must express those laws... For instance, without parental consent no body under the age of 13 is aloud to join an internet community site (including forums). Also it is a great thing to use to alert people that not all the content is yours, or that not all the content is your responsibility (this way is someone posts things in a forum, their words are not your words). Also it is a way, to waiver yourself from some legalities... For instance, if you express that the content is made up from your users, it can get you out of some legal cases with copyrighted material, unless of course you refuse to take it off, then a case can be brought against you (though things like that is good to also include in a disclaimer).

Just had to get that last shot in, huh? I'd bet real money you just ran them off. And that's not the first person you have been openly hostile to.
If people don't do things like you do and you have nothing useful to add to the thread, just click, click and move on.

Just to let everyone know...
I think pre-made/open source, cms's; are a good thing, and it does help out those who don't know what the hell they are doing. But I see no understanding of someone who wants to brag that they know how to do stuff, if they really don't... I also see no reason, nor would I understand; why someone would use open source material then not allow people to post open source material; if it is open source, it is open source period. Plus, if the entire design, and site is used by hundreds or thousands of different people all over the net, then what in the hell is wrong with have some content that is view from other sources of the net? (guru, it was not directed to you, I have seen many people who do it)
Also, I will not give someone a good review for work they did not do, I will give the respect and good review to those who made it possible to begin with. That is basically like plagiarism. If you come here or anywhere, trying to express your good work, when the work in fact was actually done by someone else and all you did was set it up, and set a few settings... How is it that you did the work? Honestly, if I saw a crappy looking website, that was done by hand, or at least done by the person (i.e. dreamweaver), they will have much more respect from me then a person who uses open source material. Though yes I don't like things like dreamweaver, but I will say that at least the person had to do something...

Guru - Firstly, when doing a ToS, you have to know the laws of the internet, and you must express those laws... For instance, without parental consent no body under the age of 13 is aloud to join an internet community site (including forums). Also it is a great thing to use to alert people that not all the content is yours, or that not all the content is your responsibility (this way is someone posts things in a forum, their words are not your words). Also it is a way, to waiver yourself from some legalities... For instance, if you express that the content is made up from your users, it can get you out of some legal cases with copyrighted material, unless of course you refuse to take it off, then a case can be brought against you (though things like that is good to also include in a disclaimer).

Put a sock in it. Seriously.
icon13.gif

Put a sock in it. Seriously.
icon13.gif
x2

burn420,
He wasn't looking to be critiqued on his site. He was only looking for a bit of help. Next time I would suggest coming down off your high horse and offering up some helpful suggestions to the OP's problems. If you are unable do such things, please do not post.

Your best bet is to check another tutorial website's TOS and use it as a template.

Also, these links may help you:
http://www.bennadel.com/coldfusion/privacy-policy-generator.htm

http://www.webmasters-cavern.com/tools/tosgen/index.php

These should get your started on a template, and then you can change the verb-age as necessary.

Hope that helps, I hate the legal side of web-development.

Also nothing is wrong with using a CMS (I use many of them). They guy who gets the business and knows his stuff is the guy who can fix the CMS when it does something the customer doesn't like. ;). Generic CMS applications are well suited for this type of thing. I think the fundamental element you need (speaking in general, not about you specifically) is an intellectual curiosity and a general love of problem solving, thats what gets you far. <-- Just my two cents.

Thanks a bunch! I'm definitely going to start working on a TOS soon!

It seams this topic has gotten way out of hand. XD Oh well. I'm done replying to burn420. Thanks for those who helped me out!

Well thanks guys, I wasn't trying to have a high horse, or be hostile... I was explaining... Plus I was trying to help him out with a little bit more info on doing the ToS..

J - Thanks for the validator... If I cared about it being validated I would have put that info in there wouldn't I... Besides, not many big websites are validated i.e. Facebook, Myspace, Myyearbook... Take a look if you don't believe me.

Well thanks guys, I wasn't trying to have a high horse, or be hostile... I was explaining... Plus I was trying to help him out with a little bit more info on doing the ToS..
Dude. . . You can't be serious. Your very first post towards the OP was hostile and you never answered nor helped with any of his questions.

So you want to put up only ORIGINAL tutorials... Yet you use Joomla to make/manage your site... Kind of contradictive don't ya think?
:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom