My forum

Yeah. Its OK. But, if i where you, then i would probs do the following:

Get some paid hosting
Use myBB Forum Software

Otherwise, it looks quite nice.

Not bad. :)

Don't use myBB software. phpBB is much cleaner, and with the release of the new version of phpBB (3) soon (its in beta), it will be the best bulletin board software around in my opinion. But yeah, get some paid hosting. :)

Google Guru said:

Don't use myBB software. phpBB is much cleaner, and with the release of the new version of phpBB (3) soon (its in beta), it will be the best bulletin board software around in my opinion. But yeah, get some paid hosting. :)

You're joking right? Please tell me you're joking. phpBB is the worst software I've ever seen for a BB system. It's old, bloated, and doesn't even have features that are considered standard these days. It's also a gold mine for hackers.

With the release of version three, we'll see a even more bloated code then what we have now, and even though it's new, it still doesn't have what standard webmasters need.

Mybb is fast, efficient, and safe forum software that I regard as one of the best free alternatives on the web.

Google Guru said:

You;re kidding right? I've used MyBB and let me tell you, it's MUCH more safer and easier to handle compared to PHPBB...that just causes problems and crashes. Like Jon said, it's a gold mine for hackers. It doesn't come eqquipped like myBB.

phpBB isn't a gold mine for hackers. I've used it on all of my previous forums. With the new release, phpBB has even more features, is great looking, simple to use and very clean, even phpBB2 is okay, has a clean admin control panel and doesn't look, erm...blah... like myBB.

Version Three, bloated code? phpBB ain't bloated. If anything, myBB is bloated. phpBB has a good user interface, myBB is slower, phpBB3 has one of the most intuitive administration panel. They work out the software bugs quickly.

myBB, like SMF and phpBB all have bugs... and security problems, but thats why people do something called updating their BB software. :rolleyes:

Take a look at vB. In three years, they've gone through version 2, all the way to version 3.6. Take a snap at Mybb, in two years they've gone through a on par phpBB board all the way to a feature fledged board that many compare to paid solutions. Having such features as AJAX, subforums (should be standard), quick reply (should be standard), and info on who posted in what on the index forum(Once again, should be standard). All of which, phpBB don't have.

Looks, don't get me started. Yes, while phpBB looks average for a board, Mybb in my opinion surpasses phpBB in every aspect of design.

http://ushhq.mobstop.com/Community/
http://ushhq.mobstop.com/InsideUniversal/

myBB, like SMF and phpBB all have bugs... and security problems, but thats why people do something called updating their BB software.

But when a software has been stuck on the same version series for over a year, it's something to consider when looking for a feature rich software.
icon13.gif

myBB is slower, phpBB3 has one of the most intuitive administration panel.

MyBB is not slower, neither is phpBB.

They work out the software bugs quickly.

Just like Mybb.

Feature list for phpBB 3, that isn't already in the version 2.
Attachments

* Attachments in posts and PMs [Standard]
* Automatic image thumbnails [Standard]
* Attach images, documents, video streams, archives [Standard]
* Multiple attachments allowed [Standard]
* Display attachments inline [Standard]

Unlimited Subforums

* Create unlimited subforums [Standard]
* Display active topics of all subforums [Standard]

Custom BBCodes

* Create your own BBCodes [Standard]
* Add buttons to posting screen [Standard]

Custom Profile Fields

* Add new fields on user profiles [Standard]
* Display them at registration [Standard]
* Display them on the profile view [Standard]
* Hide new profile fields[New]
* Support different data types[Standard]

User Control Panel

* Manage subscribed topics & forums[New]
* Manage bookmarked topics[New]
* Manage saved drafts [Standard]
* Manage private messages [Standard]
* Manage usergroups [Standard]
* Manage friends and foes[New]
* Manage attachments [Standard]

New Moderating Tools

* Moderation queue
* Topic merging [Standard]
* Topic copying [Standard]
* Locking of single posts[New]
* Topic history[New]

Friends and Foes

* Add other members as friends or foes[New]
* Posts by foes are hidden[New]
* Friends are shown in friends list[New]

Warnings and Reports

* Users can report topics and posts [Standard]
* Moderators can warn users [Standard]

More Improvements For Users

* Bookmark topics
* Subscribe to forums [Standard]
* Jabber/xmpp support for notifications[New]
* Mail or print topics [Standard]
* "You got beaten at posting notification"

More Improvements For Admins

* Global announcements [Standard]
* Display forum rules on forum page
* Prune inactive users [Standard]
* User, moderator, admin and error logs
* Language pack editing[New]
* User notes [Standard]
* Detect search spiders [Standard]

Most features aren't new and out of the ordinary, if not standard to forum software these days.

Even phpBB3 isn't.

Take a look at some forums that focus on the subject on forum software. You'll see the truth.

Back
Top Bottom