My first site for a client!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Works for me... and as I said I do my best not to be rude, but we all have our times of loosing grip, or something of the sort...

Yea I don't use any html tags... Nearly every piece of every page is done through php... I just checked on the main banner... I thought I had converted that to jpg... but now that I think about it, I think it was cause the way I made it converting it to jpg, made it look like crap, and png was too big in size or something of the sort... I will probably go back and try it again... Though what probably happened was as I was testing out different banners, I probably tested that one and then just left it to move on to the next step in the project without actually thinking about it...
But as I was saying, the entire page is php scripted... With php you don't need to use html tags, and with the CSS2, Internet Explorer doesn't suppord CSS2, the W3C petitioned Microsoft to include CSS2 support in Internet Explorer to keep up with the W3C standards... But they insist on not doing so... Though there was talk about the newest release of IE to include some aspects of CSS2... So in order to have IE users look at the site without everything going completely out of whack, I had to either decide to not do CSS2, or to do a tabled design...
Do you honestly think that you dont need to use HTML tags? The Browser cant tell the difference between a HTML and a PHP document, apart from the file extention. PHP is totally server side, and any valid HTML document needs to have HTML tags.

If you adjust the output quality of the JPEG, you can normally come to a reasonable compromise between filesize and quality.

Same goes for CSS in internet explorer. CSS is valid, so why not use that? You needn't use CSS2

Also your probably right, I didn't actually choose a good host. But I also found a fairly good one that was cheap... and with money being a very big issue, doing it from home is the cheapest way anyways... Besides I went to school just to learn to do it... I might as well use it right? lol... Also I personally like having it at my house (though I do wish I could have my own datacenter, or something), cause if something goes wrong I like knowing that I will be the one handling it... Besides most of the network guys I have seen or talked to... Haven't been able to meet my par, parse... Though I know I am not the best or anything... I also know that what ever it is that might happen... Chances are; if I can show charters network professionals, problems with their networks at the age of 15 and 16... I think I can handle my own network at the age of 21 lol....

Also your probably right, I didn't actually choose a good host. But I also found a fairly good one that was cheap... and with money being a very big issue, doing it from home is the cheapest way anyways... Besides I went to school just to learn to do it... I might as well use it right? lol... Also I personally like having it at my house (though I do wish I could have my own datacenter, or something), cause if something goes wrong I like knowing that I will be the one handling it... Besides most of the network guys I have seen or talked to... Haven't been able to meet my par, parse... Though I know I am not the best or anything... I also know that what ever it is that might happen... Chances are; if I can show charters network professionals, problems with their networks at the age of 15 and 16... I think I can handle my own network at the age of 21 lol....
I know what you mean. Cost is often an issue, and It is nice to have complete control over your own server. I cant wait for the day when I can afford a dedicated server! :)

Well yes and no... I say it cause I know I probably should have the html tags... but just the same Php is a server side script... if I remember correctly, all that is actually needed is the body tag... besides I start my sessions before the page in question is even loaded...

See that is also the thing, if I pay for hosting; I would want a dedicated server as well... But just the same, I would want the server in my possession... I guess all the years I have been with computers has just gotten me to the point where someone would have to actually prove to me that they are better then I am, before I would think about handing the responsibility to them...

Well yes and no... I say it cause I know I probably should have the html tags... but just the same Php is a server side script... if I remember correctly, all that is actually needed is the body tag... besides I start my sessions before the page in question is even loaded...
All that is needed are body tag's, but the first thing that php should output (apart from the session data etc) are the HTML tag's. It's just the standard practice!

Yea I understand you there... Also I think I tried doing the html tags, but with the way I have had it set up since the beginning, I would get header warnings when I used the html tags... Though I do know I tried using it, from all my practice with html pages... I had gotten really used to always including my html tags... I know it was something about using php, that has gotten me to stop with the html tags... Though probably not best for design etiquette lol....

Hah, I know what you mean! As they say - "Old habbits die hard" :).

If you output the HTML tag AFTER the "session_start();" (or similar) then you shouldn't have that problem. You proberbly allready know this, but the session data allways needs to come before the actual source code of the site.

That is what I did... and that is where I got the warning... If I remember correctly I think it is from what I set in the php.ini file... I think I am gonna go take a look at that actually..

Yea after looking at the php.ini file... the default mime type is text/html... so it would send that in the header if I remember correctly which is why you don't need to use the html tag... Though I could be wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom