Go Back   Computer Forums > Web Design | Website Development > Web Design and Development | Site Reviews
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-31-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default I think this belongs here-Has to do with websites

I have a quick question about having a website. Now, I've been creating/updating my dad's company's websites for awhile now and now it's getting big (I'd rather not say the name). My question is that I've been hosting it on Yahoo! for this whole time, and if it can stay there. Do all the other big companies have their own private servers or do they use web-hosting services too? We get upwards of 1000 hits a day.

ty

Old 10-31-2008, 11:49 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: I think this belongs here-Has to do with websites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Mythirion View Post
I have a quick question about having a website. Now, I've been creating/updating my dad's company's websites for awhile now and now it's getting big (I'd rather not say the name). My question is that I've been hosting it on Yahoo! for this whole time, and if it can stay there. Do all the other big companies have their own private servers or do they use web-hosting services too? We get upwards of 1000 hits a day.

ty
It really depends on the company's budget, really. With having an in-house server, there's the usual server hardware expense, plus you need a good Internet connection that has decent upload speeds or else the site will crawl. Now, as far as hosted web-sites (like you have), those are good because they have very fast Internet connections, your site is stored on a server in a secure data-center, your site gets backed up regularly (which can be a major chore if you host your own server), and there is usually a high uptime guarantee where if that is not met, you get a credit on your hosting bill. Usually, I recommend getting a hosted web-site. I have a business web-site and three forums all hosted on hosting accounts.

http://www.yourpcforums.org
Computer Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:54 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

Send a message via Skype™ to CrackerJacker

It all depends on how much bandwidth your using and CPU usage. I mean if you site is doing fine with that then theres no reason to get a dedicated server. My sites only get about 5 hits a day so I never really been in that situation lol.

Whats the website? And what kind of business is he running? Because costs for hosting a server your self could be a lot, especially when it needs a lot of bandwidth. Sometimes it's cheaper just to be a dedicated server from a company.

EDIt... Lol I most of started typing right after you posted or something jervin
CrackerJacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
In Runtime

@jervin: sweet, ty. that's just the kind of information i wanted to know.

@tcracker: as i said before we get upwards of 1000 hits a day, and I'm positive it'll increase to a lot more then that. I don't want to say the exact name of the company, but we're in SoCal, and a little in another state. It's a restaurant business and the site is mainly for informational purposes, ie: contact information, history, etc
Old 11-06-2008, 03:12 PM   #5
j03
~~~~~~~~

Send a message via MSN to j03

Untill it gets slow, then I wouldnt worry about it. Im sure Yahoo know what they are doing!
j03 is offline   Reply With Quote