Advertising Advice

S

smurkey

Hi all, I've got my business set up which is an IT Services company (pc repair, custom built machines etc.)

The only thing is I haven't got any customers yet. I know that advertising is needed to attract customers in the first place but I'm running out of ideas on how to market my services and advertise.

I've registered with yell.com as a basic listing and through various other free advertising companies/mediums but I still haven't had that phone call where a customer has rang me up and asked for one of my services.

I'm kinda scared that if I fork out say £200 for some decent advertising on a website/magazine etc. that I still wouldn't get noticed.

I guess that's always the thing when starting out with your own business though and a risk I'll have to take.

I'd appreciate some advice and opinions and maybe even some people I could get some affiliations going with, ie. advertising one another's services... but obviously not the exact same service otherwise there would be no point as you don't see top competitors advertising eachother's websites for example.

Or maybe someone could tell me from personal experience that it IS worth paying the price for advertising.

I'm very inexperienced on this topic so any advice comments are most welcome.

Have you tried putting up cheap advertisements in Shop Windows? Loads of Newsagents do it and generally if you get one job in a neighbourhood that person will talk to at least half a dozen people about you. Its worth a shot at least, I would have thought an Ad in the Yellow Pages would have helped though, maybe it just needs time.

Lord Kalthorn said:
Have you tried putting up cheap advertisements in Shop Windows? Loads of Newsagents do it and generally if you get one job in a neighbourhood that person will talk to at least half a dozen people about you. Its worth a shot at least, I would have thought an Ad in the Yellow Pages would have helped though, maybe it just needs time.

Yeah I could try that. I have only just signed up for Yell's basic listing which means I'm listed on their website for free and will be featured in the next edition of the Yellow Pages as a single line advertisement.

Hopefully that will attract some attention. I can have a look into the newsagents thing.

Yeah, it would be a good fill in until the Yellow Pages comes out. Loads of people use that afterall :p

Are you serious? My shop years ago had a one year run that cost $1000.00 per month. Screw the yellow pages. I do better with word of mouth. Cheaper too.

The classified ads in the local newspapers are pretty cheap as well, we have 3 of these delivered a week here in Bundaberg. Check your area to see whats available.

Best of luck for your business... :D

I just hired a marketer who's not bad. If you want his name, just PM me.

Good luck

Michelle

Back
Top Bottom