Ye Olde XP Agin

aussiedave

Beta member
Bought a reconditioned HP Compaq 6220 4-5 months back and the unit has never been perfect, but then again only paid 100 bucks for it.
Any way, the main problem is the CD/DVD player constantly interrupts normal operation when not even using the player. It makes a little buzzing noise like it's trying to play a non existent cd once every couple of minutes or so and suspends everything else you might be doing for a few seconds at the time - very annoying - any ideas?
The other thing is I think this is also causing some sort of conflict that may suddenly cause the system to crash - and this happens constantly as well.
One more thing, I got a message that said I have some sort of startup dll corrupted, how do I go about fixing this up considering I don't have the original installation disc?
I do regular maint and have a firewall running and am using AVG anti virus.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Dave.

Bought a reconditioned HP Compaq 6220 4-5 months back and the unit has never been perfect, but then again only paid 100 bucks for it.
Any way, the main problem is the CD/DVD player constantly interrupts normal operation when not even using the player. It makes a little buzzing noise like it's trying to play a non existent cd once every couple of minutes or so and suspends everything else you might be doing for a few seconds at the time - very annoying - any ideas?
The other thing is I think this is also causing some sort of conflict that may suddenly cause the system to crash - and this happens constantly as well.
One more thing, I got a message that said I have some sort of startup dll corrupted, how do I go about fixing this up considering I don't have the original installation disc?
I do regular maint and have a firewall running and am using AVG anti virus.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Dave.

I deleted a couple programs and blew out the CD caddy with a can of air and it is much better - problem hasn't gone away completely though.
This computer also seems to have a bad connection with the adapter - it won't charge the battery.
Any takers?
ad.

I know that older HP's like the one you have have problems with the Optical drive seating correctly into the motherboard. My old Compaq laptop had the same issue, and I would have to press the drive into the computer very hard for it not to do it. Unfortunately, if I carried it around at all, I would have to press it back in again.

Your second problem, I need some more information. Are you getting a blue screen? Or is the system just locking up?

Third, we are going to need more information about the dll that is corrupted. What's the dll file that's bringing up the error? Is there an error number? What is it asking you to do.

Finally, the ACAD might not be bringing out the proper voltage to charge the battery. The best way to find out is taking it in to a Radio Shack or Best Buy and see if they can test your ACAD for proper voltages. If the voltages are correct, it could be your motherboard or your battery.

Back
Top Bottom