Xp wont boot up

patsfan054

Beta member
Not sure if this is the forum for this but i'll give it a try. When I start my computer it stops booting and says windowsroot>system32\ntoskrnl.exe. This just started to happen. Now the weird thing is if I unplug my usb mouse it will start fine and then if i plug it back in after its started its ok. Any thoughts?? Thanks. o and I tried to unplug the keyboard as well but thats ok.

I've seen this once before and running checkdisk fixed it up.

To run check disk, click the start button then click "run" In the little box that comes up type "cmd" and press enter. Then you will type "chkdsk /r" in the black windows that pops up. Make sure there is the space between the k and the /. It will say it can't check it right away but wants to know if it should check and next boot up. Type "y" and press enter then restart your computer.

I've seen this once before and running checkdisk fixed it up.

To run check disk, click the start button then click "run" In the little box that comes up type "cmd" and press enter. Then you will type "chkdsk /r" in the black windows that pops up. Make sure there is the space between the k and the /. It will say it can't check it right away but wants to know if it should check and next boot up. Type "y" and press enter then restart your computer.

Well I tried what you said but still not happing not sure whats going on....

That kinda sounded like a thing I had, sometimes: when I boot up with my USB drive on it would tell me " no operating system " somehow it would get stuck in there and no check my regular HD. I did made the booting sequence to cd's first, then usb, and at last HD.
So this may not be the right answer but try to go to your Bios and disable USB boot up and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom