xp or vista

iffy

In Runtime
I just bought a new laptop and I have been supplied vista basic with it. I find xp a little more user friendly and better to use. What do you guys think, shall I get used to the vista or just buy a copy of xp? Also will the downgrade of OS invalidate the warranty?

I'm not sure if the OS will affect the warranty or not (i believe warranty's are only for hardware) but if you are more comfortable with XP then go ahead and do it. But if you also like to learn new things, then go ahead with Vista (unless you have a lot of programs and hardware only compatible with XP, then I'd say stick with XP)

It's up to you pretty much, based on your preference.

Vista basic?
Well that's pretty much an issue to begin with. Very few machines except the el cheapos come with anything less than Home premium......basic is like running DOS. :p

Looks like its gonna be xp professional then. I found that some programs wouldn't run on the vista OS. Any ideas where to get these copies of xp cheap?

Newegg could still be selling OEM versions of XP Professional on their website. Check there.

If you decide to switch operating systems, make sure you download the drivers for your laptop before you go on reformatting. Thats a lesson I learned when I decided to reformat my Compaq Presario system that had already had XP preinstalled on it.

looks like I will be going with xp pro. I can get the disc for 64.00 GBP. It will have sp2 on it aswell. I have been provided a disc of drivers by the manufacturer of the laptop. Do you think this will be ok to use after I have installed xp? And lasltly, if a disk has sp1 on it, does that mean I cant install sp2 on to it?

Actually one more question. My laptop has vista oem software. Will the system allow me to install another software?

Back
Top Bottom