xp with RedHatLinux 9

passion

Solid State Member
Hi Friends i want to know how to install winxp and redhat linxu 9 together

i have 40gb harddisk and 512 ram i want both operating system in one

harddrive. can any one explain me how to install this im waiting

for replies thanx.

Hey, i have suse set up with a 98 machine. But i did it the "easier" and just put another harddrive. Set the jumpers to slave. Go to the bios and set the slave to boot first. Put the linux disk in and go at it. I know this might be a little harder or more inconvenient. But i like it.

hey sorry, i didnt see that you wanted this on one hd

First off, install Windows first. Install it on a 20GB Partition, then leave the other 20gb Unpartitioned.
When you are installing red hat A grub prompt will come up, from then on it will ask you on startup which to boot, red hat or Win XP.

Basically depending on your current partion NTFS, FAT32... you may have to reformat you hard drive first, NTFS is hard to resize. But you need to create a sperate partition on your hard drive for linux. Which is what I have, and a thing called Grub (bootloader) will come up and ask you which OS to boot.

you have to create more than a boot partition. usually there's 3 partitions in a linux installation. personally i use four

/dev/hda1 = /boot
/dev/hda2 = swap
/dev/hda3 = /
/dev/hda4 = /home or some other file you plan to store mass user files in this one isn't required

note: drive could be called something else, for me it's hda, if you have multiple drives it'd be hdb, hdc ect... && they all are in /dev

first of all you forgot swap and /. how the hell do you mount /boot without /? plus you'd require another partition to install windows. putting you at 4 to 5 partitions min. okay boot isn't "required" but it's ideal to have a seperate partition for security and not automount it.

You should only need a linux primary and a swap, which is all that I have. You can use GParted to create them/resize your current partition.

Linux Guru: I guess you never took into consideration the advantages of having multiple partitions.

Maybe you should consider revising your name.

RewtGuy said:
Linux Guru: I guess you never took into consideration the advantages of having multiple partitions.

I don't think so, all LG was trying to do was explain it in easier terms for Passion... I think.

Just cause' his way is different than yours, doesn't mean it's wrong.

RewtGuy said:
Excuse me.... I personally use 2 because i am very low on hd space, and i mean low, since my windows partition uses up the majority of my hd since I have many programs installed on it. I just recomend using a smaller amount of partitions snice he is new to linux.

Linux Guru said:
Excuse me.... I personally use 2 because i am very low on hd space, and i mean low, since my windows partition uses up the majority of my hd since I have many programs installed on it.

Or that...

Good on you for sticking up for yourself man. I've got your back...

Back
Top Bottom