XP long logon times.

Keith_Jones

Beta member
I had run into a problem where I needed to flash my BIOS, and so I had to reinstall my OS, XP Professional. I have a 120GB with 49% resources free, and a 20GB backup disk IDE, both internal. I wanted to keep my files, music, etc because I am a musician, so instead of formatting my drive, I just reinstalled windows. I am noticing my startup times are very long, about 4-5 minute startups. It should be about 30 seconds. 1.25GB DDR memory, AMD Athlon 2000, running at 1.67GHZ, and my disks are 7200rpm I believe. My OS is installed in the 120Gig disk, the other is blank at the moment for backing up anything. I have tried cleaning spyware with Norton, I have tried registry cleaners: PC Pitstop DiskMD, PCPitstop Optimize, Registry Mechanic, Norton Antivirus, and I use the Windows Firewall. If I need to I can use ZoneAlarm Pro.
Also, my games freeze now. Tiger Woods 06, MotoGP 3. I have Direct X 9, and my graphics and all drivers are up to date and fine. Nothing in device manager is unrecognized or has problems except a game controller which is faulty I believe.
I had to flash my BIOS in the begining because I got a new printer which is USB all-in-one (scan, fax, print) and I had to update my BIOS for it to work. Now my printer works, but my startups are slow and games freeze. My main concern is the SLOW startups. Any ideas out there?

Also, when I am running SpeedFan, 4 temperatures are 37C or lower, but I see 5 temps reading 51-67C (which is hot.) This could be my problems. I replaced my heatsink with a OEM heatsink and added an exhaust fan. When my case is open and a fan is blowing on it, the hotter temps lower down to a still a high of 65C about. The room itself is upstairs and my air conditiong does not work well upstairs, very hot up here.

Hi,

First of all.

Backup all ure data on an external drive before u will loose it all :)

Second:

Uninstall all unnesesary programs from ure computer.

reboot

run msconfing (in start > run) and uncheck all unnessesary software from startup.

reboot

unistall Symatnec and install Free AVG antivirus.

reboot

defrad ure hard drive. u can use Diskeeper for this. is very effective and speed up pc a lot.

u can also check ure hdd to look for a bad sectors and u can restre them using Hiren's Boot CD tools.

Update ure windows with the lates updates.

Have fun :D :D :D

And about ure CPU temperature. Its normal for AMD Athlon to have between 45 - 60 C. U can try to reduce this temeprature by applying a silver CPU thermal paste ont ure CPU core and clean fan and radiatior from the dust (simply hoover ure PC inside) :)

Back
Top Bottom