xp install problems

Enix82

Baseband Member
Hey guys, I just got done putting together a new system. Everything was going great, formatted the HD to NFTS and it rebooted to load windows. My system keeps restarting while installing windows. 1st time it just restarted, 2nd time it gave me a error log about dllpackts and signature not good, 3rd and 4th time it just restarted. Still trying to install, I think I'm getting further and further with each attempt.

I had a prior custom built computer and I'm using the same windows xp cd, service pack 1. The prior xp has been deleted to keep it legal...

It's loading up the windows logo screen and it restarts the setup, but now it's directly shutting down after displaying insufficient system resources for API... I think that is the last part of it, it shows it so quickly.

Ok, how exactly does windows xp oem work? My oem cd is from an earlier custom built abit mobo based computer. I now built a new abit mobo based computer and the OEM cd is giving me all kinds of errors in the setup.

Is the CD clean? Sometimes when there are scratches/smudges, it will give you different types of errors. Try cleaning the CD with a lint free cloth. You mentioned that it referrenced the API- check in your BIOS and see if anything looks funny- all else fails, set it to defaults. You should be able to use the OEM disc to install XP on that machine, as long as you have a valid COA for the computer. I think your issue may be related to the BIOS though. See if there is a BIOS flash for that board, if setting it to factory defaults doesn't work.

sounds like id you are having liecnce problems you cd might be pirated does it have the guine microsoft seal on it is the cd reflxive does it alter colors is you tilt it in the light

hdloademan1 said:
sounds like id you are having liecnce problems you cd might be pirated does it have the guine microsoft seal on it is the cd reflxive does it alter colors is you tilt it in the light

if he had no problems wiht it on his previous system then i doubt it pirated. I'd ahve to agree with PCtechMike and say it could be bios and possibly even a RAM stick.

CD is perfectly legit, its reflective and has product id on both sides. Could the ram still be bad even tho BIOS detects it? Since it's OEM, shouldn't a floppy be loaded first with the necessary DLLs and kernels?

Enix82 said:
CD is perfectly legit, its reflective and has product id on both sides. Could the ram still be bad even tho BIOS detects it? Since it's OEM, shouldn't a floppy be loaded first with the necessary DLLs and kernels?

Nope, should work straight from the CD

I'm gonna flash the bios and see how that goes... if that doesnt work i'm gonna play around with the memory dimms

Enix82 said:
It's loading up the windows logo screen and it restarts the setup, but now it's directly shutting down after displaying insufficient system resources for API... I think that is the last part of it, it shows it so quickly.

Could possibly be this

When XP is first installed it tries to determine what type of BIOS is available on the computer. Newer systems have what is known as Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) capability. Unfortunately, XP doesn't always recognize a computer BIOS is ACPI capable and doesn't install the support for ACPI. Even more unfortunate is the fact that if ACPI support isn't determined at the initial install it's virtually impossible to correct this at a later time short of reinstalling XP over the top of the previous XP installation. To do so requires changing the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL). The chances of successfully changing a HAL after XP has been installed is pretty close to zilch.

Once you drop the CD in the tray and fire up the computer to install XP, the first thing you'll see at the bottom of the screen is the option to press F6 if you need to install a SCSI or RAID controller. Don't press F6. Press F5 instead. This will take you to a separate menu of Hardware Abstraction Layer's where you can choose an appropriate HAL that supports ACPI. The choices will be:

ACPI Multiprocessor PC

ACPI Uniprocessor PC

Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC

Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible PC

MPS Uniprocessor PC

MPS Multiprocessor PC

Standard PC

Standard PC with C-Step i486

Other

In the majority of installations the 'Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC' HAL is the one you will want to use. A few cautions are also in order:

Obtain and install the latest BIOS for your motherboard before you begin the XP installation.

Equally as important as using the proper HAL on ACPI capable systems, is NOT using it on systems that are not ACPI compatible. The install may complete but the system will almost surely fail to start when it reboots.

There are situations where it is definitely not desirable to use an ACPI HAL even if it is supported by the BIOS. This predominately applies to servers, but to ensure that an ACPI HAL will not be used or automatically detected and used, press F7 instead of F5 as discussed previously.

Considering the number of problems that users have with systems not shutting down completely I wonder why this feature is not prominently mentioned and documented. It could save many headaches, but now you know. A good piece of knowledge to have tucked away for your next XP install.

As a final note, to determine if your computer was detected as being ACPI enabled:

Right click My Computer then click Properties > Hardware > Device Manager.
Expand the entry called Computer.

If the entry is 'Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC' you're all set. If it says 'Standard PC' the computer BIOS was not detected as being ACPI capable.

Back
Top Bottom