XP Hanging during boot process

LostDog4

Solid State Member
Hey guys, this is my first post, so hopefully somebody here can help me out!

I have a laptop sat on my desk at work right now that wont complete its boot process, it gets as far as windows logo with the progress bar rolling across underneath. On the 3rd pass the progress bar under the logo gets a little jittery, and by the 4th and 5th passes its dragging itself along like a broken car. It never actually freezes completely, but i've left it to do this for hours on end before finally shutting it down nasty style.

So, two days ago the laptop was working fine (its an acer aspire 5670), and then all of a sudden it wont boot. I've made no significant changes to its configuration, no updates, no newly installed software etc. Its running XP /w SP2.

My efforts have gone from normal boot fixes to extreme desperation as you'll see from this list of things i've already tried;
- system restore to a month ago
- windows xp repair
- fixboot, mbr & chkdsk's from the recovery console
- safe mode's in all flavours
- Run HDD checks, mem checks etc (no hardware problems)
- Flashed the BIOS!!
- I can boot into ERDCommander and use all its utilities and access work etc, but none of its boot time tools fix anything either.

So, i'm at a loose end short of running a clean install. The boot log isn't helping me much as is bums out halfway through loading drivers, but i know this isn't the problem from my safe mode attempts.

Can anyone suggest an avenue for me to go down other than reinstalling the OS?

Thanks in advance for any replies! =)

Back
Top Bottom