XP on External Hardrive

brianmay27 said:
did you try editing the boot loader? in vista (supposing it is the same) go to my controle panel, system, advance, and startup and recovery then hit edit. copy and past the last line which should look something like this.
Paste it below that line and change the partition(1) to partition(2) or 3 depends if you have a recovery partition. save and try again.
Vista doesnt use a boot.ini file so this is no good, you might wanna read this.
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/4d7d08ba-d61c-4c02-9f94-6d2c0e34ae731033.mspx

ssc456 said:
hi again,

i formatted the hardrive and booted the xp disk it went through to copying files needed for install and then it reboots and says operating system failure.

tried following the guide in previous post but cabdsk would not recognise maybe coz i have vista ??.

n e ways n e ideas on operating system failure or failed to boot operating system ??

thanks

Scott
Does your BIOS support booting from an external drive?

hi,

yeh in my bios on boot order it has boot from usb hardrive and usb key so even if it wasnt seein it as a hardrive and it was seein it as a mass storage device it shud still boot.

once again cheers for the quick replys

hi people,

managed to get it to copy all the windows files to the hardrive it begins to boot the second part of the setup and during the windows xp boot screen it blue screens here is as much info as it gives me.

a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer .

check for viruses on your computer. remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated? run chkdsk /f to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

technical information:

*** Stop: 0x0000007B (0xF79DD528, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

HOPE U GUYS CAN HELP

thanks Scott

Here's what it is:
Windows lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. Typical causes: Installing incorrect device drivers when installing or upgrading storage adapter hardware, or a virus.

checked nothing wrong.

i have been told i need a copy of xp on my hardrive for the boot menu to have the info of xp ?? i dint queit understand so can some1 else explain ??

Back
Top Bottom