Writing my Own Kernel?!

kenhkan

Baseband Member
Hi, everyone.

I am curious if it is possible to make my own kernel (probably a linux one) using C++ since I'm not good at C... >_<
If there is one written in C++ and it is open-source, can anyone tell me where to find it? Even if not... can anyone tell me where to find a "small" (by small I mean kernels' source code that are small in size thus easier to understand) kernel written in C? Thank you!

Small in Kernals is still scores of thousands of lines long. You could write a Kernal in C++ - just put on the C++ Compiler to Assembly Code.

But it will be hard...

I see......

But does anyone have sites or documentations on kernel programming (better if demonstrated in C++)?

you might want to have a look at Linux or Mimix, they are both Unix like cores.

Apparantly it's quite easy to write a Disk opperating system, they difficult bit is finding applications to work on your DOS.

linux and mimix, eh?......

i'll try to study their kernel's code then.
but what do you mean by "disk opperating system". I don't get this term.

Thanks.

Where you say Kernel I say DOS.

Linux is a Disk opperating system,
MS DOS is a disk opperating system
NT DOS, FreeDOS OS/2 MAC OS everything is a disc opperating syetm. they opperate the machine hardware and snd signals of how to read and write data.
the pretty windows you see in front of you are not really a part of the OS they are just a shell that sits on top.
Once you have the disk oppearting system making the disc spin, and you have the shell then you really need to have some applications.
Linux uses the GNU applications, without GNU linux is nothing more than something that makes some light come on and disks spin.

There are quite a lot of small DOS's out there that are usefull, but as I said you need to make sure there is some kind of coherance and compatibility with applications or else your DOS will be practically useless.

oh i get it......... how stupid was I!
DOS = Disk Operating System
lol, thx a lot root!

Back
Top Bottom