Worst Windows Error Ever

5 3 l< 0

Baseband Member
Hello there guys and gals. I am trying to fix a windows xp based computer after a dirty shutoff. Problem is that windows is giving me a stop 24 error that i've never encountered before. I'm not able to use XP cd because it crashes before it can fully load. I can't use recovery console because it crashes and gives the stop 24 error again. I've used knoppix live cd to boot and i can see the hdd and the files that i need to recover. However, i can't modify the drive whatsoever (copy/move etc) Has anyone had this problem before? I did a google search and others had this problem before but what worked for them unfortunately didn't work for me. Please help me out as the files i need to recover from this drive are very important.

That's a system file that allows reading and writing to NTFS partitions. The MS support page on that can be seen at http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=228888

Not being able to boot upto the recovery console with the XP disk is a different problem with the disk or drive there. The disk could finger marked or scratched up since you boot with a live distro ok.

ok on the microsoft support page it says "Rename the %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys file to Ntfs.old, and then shut down the computer (this action prevents the Ntfs.sys driver from loading)." how can i do this when i can't boot into windows? I'm pretty sure its not the hard drive or the cd im trying to use. There were no problems with the hard drive up until it got corrupted. As for the cd i've recently used on my laptop and there are no scratch marks on it. Are there other places someone can refer me to?

Before you can do anything you have to gain access to the drive in order to rename the file. Since you haven't been able to copy and paste files from the effected drive onto another while booted live with Knoppix(which release by the way? recent or old) I could suggest tryin ubuntu instead to see if you get any further.

Your other option would be using a tool like GParted to shrink the problem partition down in order to create a new one for data recovery. Then you would simply grab any data rescue freeware or shareware to back up the files you want on the new primary and say good bye later to that one.

If that fails then you have to start looking at the hard drive itself as being the problem and not just one corrupted system file. Generally a live distro like Knoppix or ubuntu can grab files when Windows can't or won't load like you have there. Bad or worn heads on the drive.

Back
Top Bottom