Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-25-2009, 10:26 AM   #1
Solid State Member

Exclamation Windows Xp won't boot up... please help!

My computer has at times, restarted itself randomly. I don't know why, but I ignored it. Well, today, I was playing one of my games, and my computer restarted itself. So after it booted, it asked me if I wanted to boot normally to windows XP, or Last good config, etc... I clicked on Boot normally, but it just restarted my computer again, instead of going to Windows Xp. I tryed going into last good config, it did the samething. I tryed to go into safe mode, but it still, restarted my computer. I then tryed putting in the disk for windows Xp. That didn't help either.

I recently purchased 2 new memory sticks, and I put them into my computer. Does that have anything to do with my computer problem? Any feedback would be helpfull! Thanks

Sickness335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:12 PM   #2
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: Windows Xp won't boot up... please help!

Remove the new memory and see if it boots properly. It's entirely possible the new memory is bad.

You could try booting with one stick at a time to weed out the bad ones.

Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
Solid State Member

I just tryed that, and it still doesn't work. I dont know what else it could be. If there isn't anything else that would help, would renstalling Xp do the trick?
Old 05-25-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

It still wouldn't boot with the old memory in the correct slots?
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:07 PM   #5
Solid State Member

Yes. It still didn't boot. The only other option I have is to Renstall Windows Xp all together. Would that do the trick?
Old 05-26-2009, 11:36 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

By any chance did you.. I don't know.. Have to force the new Memory in? Maybe jammed it a bit? You might have damaged the Memory slot on your Motherboard..

Did the restarting thing happen with the old memory? Not just now but before even thinking about getting the new memory.

"If that guy knew half the $h*t that I know, his fuzzy little head would explode. " - Matthew Farrell
vampist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #7
In Runtime

Well, I've got a comp with the same issue, it's restarting right after the splash screen. I'm thinking virus, personally.

If you have the original XP install CD, boot to disk and once it goes through the startup process, select the recovery console (R). Once you enter into it, a fixboot and a fixmbr should fix your issue, but running chkdsk would be a wise idea, too.

BTW, I just fixed the problem using "fixboot", "chkdsk /F", and "fixMBR" in the recovery console.
PvilleStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #8
Solid State Member

Well, I took out the new memory sticks. I only have the old memory stick in. And now, my computer works fine. It started up normally and all. But the thing is, my computer started to restart itself before I put in the new sticks.

I just got another memory stick today. I don't know if other computers have the same setup as I do, but there is a total of 4 memory stick slots in my motherboard. There in pairs, so when I put the new sticks in, there were 2 sticks in pair 1. And Pair 2 had only 1 stick in it, so would that be the reason why my computer was restarting? Because of only having 1 stick in pair 2?

Since I got the other memory stick today, I will have both pair 1 and 2 filled. I'll probably be putting in the sticks over the weekend.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:31 AM   #9
In Runtime

Well, other thing, what kind of motherboard do you have? Dell requires their own proprietary memory for it to work. Some motherboards require that you have matching memory in pairs. I'd still consider looking into fixing the boot sector since something isn't right on there. Check your computer for viruses and malware, since you've got a restart issue.
PvilleStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:53 AM   #10
Solid State Member

I have an Antec Sonata. I'll have my Anti-Virus scan for anything.

Heres a pic of it: