Windows XP Virtual Memory

John Bull

In Runtime
I have Windows XP Home, SP3, IE8, OE6. Everything is on auto-update and my system is 100% up-to-date.

I am not a big user absorbing huge amounts of the Internet, but just an interested surfer.

My Free disc space is 64 GB, I scan for virus`s and malware every day with an assortment of security programs, 4 of which have real-time protection. I feel I can do no more regarding security and threat protection. My set is perfectly clean at present from any infections.

I have ;-
COMODO IS, my only Firewall except the Windows Firewall which is enabled.
SPYBOT
SPYWARE TERMINATOR
SPYWAREBLASTER
AVG
TOOLBARS ; GOOGLE, CRAWLER ( linked with ST )

I use HIBERNATE all the time, sometimes left for hours. If IE and OE are buttoned on the task bar but left open, the VM problem is usually worse.

All are updated daily.

PROBLEM
=======

For no apparent reason, I am often getting warning messages from Windows that my Virtual Memory is too low, with the added comment that although Windows is increasing my VM, systems are likely to be either slow or fail.
Often the CPU is very high, 100% at times.

I then have to break off what I am doing, save any work, shut down and re-boot, to sort it out. All very annoying.

I am on Windows VM control - no personal settings and my RAM is the standard 512 MB with 64 MB allowed for graphics. I have tried an assortment of settings for VM, but it makes no difference and my pagefile fragments.

HELP ! Can anybody explain the possible cause of all this and offer some solutions ?
many thanks
KAS

Nowadays it's standard to use 512MB or more of ram, however CPU running constantly at 100% should not happened. When you look at task manager, what process is using the most CPU usage when it's running at 100%? If part of a program gets stuck in an infinite loop, it can use 100% of your CPU.

Hi,
Id recommend upgrading you memory to at least 1GB, apart from other tech issues that may be assisting poor memory performance, a memory upgrade should bring a smile. Also before upgrading if you set your 'pageing file' to 1024 in both boxes then click 'set', it may help

Good Luck,

Berne

Hi,
Id recommend upgrading you memory to at least 1GB, apart from other tech issues that may be assisting poor memory performance, a memory upgrade should bring a smile. Also before upgrading if you set your 'pageing file' to 1024 in both boxes then click 'set', it may help

Good Luck,

Berne

Berne, what exactly is written to the "pagefile"? And is there a way to read what is stored in it?

Nowadays it's standard to use 512MB or more of ram, however CPU running constantly at 100% should not happened. When you look at task manager, what process is using the most CPU usage when it's running at 100%? If part of a program gets stuck in an infinite loop, it can use 100% of your CPU.

Chris, what is the main cause usually for a CPU to run at 100%?

Back
Top Bottom