Windows XP and SATA support

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
Is it true that Windows XP SP1 and later have built in SATA hard drive support? So that means that I don't need to do the F6 deal to load the drivers ever again? That's the only part I hate when it comes to installing SATA drives. A lot of motherboards don't come with the floppy ready and you have to find them online or somewhere on the motherboard CD on a separate computer just to copy them over to a slow floppy disk.

i dont think so, i just spent two days trying to figure out why the windows install couldnt find a hard drive, and i finally figured out it was a SATA hd and so i made the disk and it worked, so im going to have to say no xp doesnt have support for it yet

I just hope future service packs or better yet, Windows Vista will have integrated support for SATA and SATAII drivers. Makes it so much easier to install a SATA drive.

If you mean does Windows XP sp2 pickup a SATA hard drive if you install it as a second drive then yes, you'll find it detects it as a SCSI disk device. However if you want to install Windows on it then you need to make a driver disk, I use MaxBlast4 (free download) to prepare the disk for installation and create drive disks if needed. This software is for maxtor drives but does work with others.

Give it a try..

BullDog(UK)

Back
Top Bottom