Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-30-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to Sinonymous
Exclamation Windows XP Media Center 2005 issues! Help!

Okay I was wondering what in the heck is wrong with my computer. This past week I have been having issues with my good old XP computer. It has been processing kinda suckish, programs have stopped responding, Media Center says "Video Error" and then "Critical Component Failure", Internet Explorer sometimes says "Connection cannot be found" my temporary fix is pressing "Try again" (I have a always-on connection). And today my built-in card reader stopped working. I have a up-to-date copy of Spy Sweeper Anti-Virus and Webroot Desktop Firewall and one had found a virus named "Rootkit disguised system monitor". I have reformatted this computer 4 times before for similar issues. I don't feel like doing it again but, if I have to I will. I have found 3 trojans since last reformat 4 months ago. I don't know why this keeps happening because I keep my software up to date and I don't go to inappropriate or off main stream websites. Please help me if you have any solutions or suggestions.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:24 PM   #2
BSOD

Default Re: Windows XP Media Center 2005 issues! Help!

Is every piece of hardware in the computer stock? (You didn't change the CPU or the RAM at least?)

Anti-Flag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #3
BSOD

Hello? If you wan't support you must check your forum more often.
Anti-Flag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:14 PM   #4
Solid State Member

Well first of all, REFORMATTING IS NOT THE ANSWER!!! If you have an up to date version of the software, it should be fine. The only thing i can say other to stop reformatting and to take these steps:

1. Backup all your data
2. Look at the software version of the antivirus, and check that with information from th manufacturer's website.
3. If that doesn't work, I would recommend doing a clean scan with your anti-virus.
4. When that is finished, try to delete the viruses, if any, with your anti-virus program.
5. Do a complete update with windows update, turn your antivirus to full protect (On if not on), and see how that works out.

Now, that we've gotten viruses out of the way, try looking into detail at your hardware. You can do this by opening the computer, and looking at the hardware, or just go in to Device Manager (My Computer, click the Device Tab, then click Device Manager).

I hope this helps you get rid of your problem.

P.S. - I recommend to switch from your current programs to Ad-Aware, Spy-Bot Search and Destroy, and AVG 8.0 (current). All of these programs are free.
miniChappy is offline   Reply With Quote