Windows XP installation disc

Lintama

Solid State Member
I have found a Windows XP home edition installation CD. Will it work on a different computer? I don't know where the disc came from. I also have the product key code for this disc.

I know it doesn't belong to this computer as the product key for it is not the same. (The product key is printed on a label stuck to the top of the tower.)

Most likely not. You would need to take a look at the sticker where the product key is printed. If OEM is anywhere on that sticker, than you can't take it to another computer as the key is tied to the hardware of the PC it's printed on.

Obviously Not…The problem with different versions is the license key from one version typically won't work on another version. If you have a retail license key, it won't work on an OEM disk.

OK thanks for that. I haven't used the disc which didn't belong to the computer. Instead I have re-installed XP from the i386 file on the computer. The manufacturer doesn't always copy it onto the computer files but in this case it was there. Lucky me.

Back
Top Bottom