Windows XP Home won't boot!

Terabyte1

Solid State Member
Hi everyone

This morning I installed ubuntu linux on my pc on a different hard drive. I told it to install the bootloader on my XP hard drive (D: ). It all installed fine, restarted the pc and it would display the BIOS logo then would say "boot from CD" and nothing else. The hard drive LED did light up for a second but nothing would load up (unless a disc was inserted it wouldn't load up). I ran the linux live CD and mounted the hard drive, opened up the boot ini file and nothing was in it. I have run recovery mode with the XP disc but when I enter "bootcfg /rebuild" or "bootcfg /add" I just says I got errors on the disk, run chkdsk. I ran chkdsk and no errors. I'M SO CONFUSED :confused: :mad: :confused: . Any help would be appreciated :).

Thanks

*UPDATE* I managed to get "bootcfg /add" but still doesn't work!

If you're using a different hard drive then you shouldn't have told the Ubuntu installer to touch the XP hard drive - you should have just told it to put GRUB on the same hard drive as Ubuntu.

Best bet is to pop the XP CD in the drive, fire up the recovery console and run fixboot / fixmbr.

I have tried that several times and it doesn't work. I'm just going to do a fresh install. I had several problems with it anyway like BSOD and some other things I couldn't get rid of. Besides it will be a lot easier for me to start a fresh and try not to make the same mistakes. I will just make a backup of all my downloads, music ect. Thanks for your reply :) . Really appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom