Windows wouldnt start up

I changed the cd buner to my old cd-rom and it worked. The cd buner had DC 5v-1.5A and 12V-1.5A. The old cd-rom has 5V-1.0A 12V-0.8A. Is the Amp the reason why my new cd buner isnt working but my old cd-rom with less amp is? I have 650W psu, wouldnt that have enought to power with 1.5A-5V and 1.5-12V?

yes. I think your cd rom drive may just be a bad drive. Something it is doing is causing windows to hang is my best guess. Does the DVD burner also cause windows to hang? If just the DVD burner is plugged in but not the CD-ROM drive?

At this point, with 650W of power, a shortage of power is not your problem.

yup, i have 2 drives, cd buner and dvd rom. If both of them are connected, they both work, they both are there when the bios screens comes up right at the beginning. But onces the windows xp logo screen comes on, it just hangs after the process bar going about 1 or 2 times. Same thing happens when i have either one of them connected. I even switched my old PSU 450W to 650W. Both of this drives worked on my old mobo and cpu. In fact, i even used this cd-burner drive to install xp to my sata hdd. Just not letting into windows...:(

I can get into safe mode with 1 drive, but not in normal mode. I also tried re-installing windows again and again. Maybe get a lower graphic card???

Well I don't think it is the graphics card. If it works when you play with the IDE drives, then maybe it is the IDE controller. Have you tried swapping the IDE cable? Sometimes if the cables are bad things like this can happen.

Switch IDE cables. 3 different ones. Still same result. Would I have to install IDE drivers for the motherboard for this???

Well, The IDE could still be the problem. I don't think drivers would be the issue though. The motherboard may be defective. At this point you could try and RMA the motherboard and see if a replacement will work. If not, you could upgrade your CD/DVD drives with SATA ones. I know that is not the preferred option, but the only thing I can come up with is your IDE drives, since you have been successful without the drives installed. I suggest RMA your motherboard and see if the replacement works.

Ya I didn't want to buy extra drives which I already had, but I did. I got sata dvd-rw and now its working fine with all sata connections. I'm on it now posting this. I would like the ide to work because all my files are backed up in ide hdd. End up spending more money trying to fix this then I thought I would :(

Whats RMA stand for??? If it mean return for exchange, ya I might do that.

Back
Top Bottom