Which Windows version does NOT have Media Center?

Fingers

Beta member
My recording software and some hardware doesn't work well with Media Center, and apparently there's no way of getting rid of it. I'm currently running XP Home Premium SP3, and I have an upgrade to VISTA Home Premium (which is not installed.) They both have Media Center with them. Is there something else I can install that does NOT come with the Media Center? XP Prefessional? A version of Windows 7?

i have just installed windows xp sp3 yesterday. i have just tjeked it, and there is no windows mediacanter

All vista's and win 7's has windows mediacenter.

You can install Windows 7 and then remove the Windows Media Center function/program through the Control Panel.

I'm currently running Windows XP Media Center Edition and I want to upgrade to Windows 7. What is the difference between 32 bit and 64? Should I buy the upgrade or full retail version? I also noticed there's a OEM version for system builders? I only need it for 1 computer.

with Vista, microsoft got some problems.

People who had Home Premium were upgrading to Professional for domain capabilities, but when they did, things like Media center, games etc. were disabled since microsoft didnt think business customers would need them. With win7, all the features are in every edition, it just matters which 'level' you use it at, depending on the product keys. E.g. you can upgrade Win7 Home Basic to Ultimate with anytime upgrade without having to use any extra files, Windows just goes through and unlocks the more businessey and exclusive features. But anyway, you can disable Media Center in My Computer -> add/remove programs -> turn on/off windows features.

I'm currently running Windows XP Media Center Edition and I want to upgrade to Windows 7. What is the difference between 32 bit and 64? Should I buy the upgrade or full retail version? I also noticed there's a OEM version for system builders? I only need it for 1 computer.

Note that you cannot upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7. You will have to get the full retail version. As for 32 bit and 64 bit, what are your specs? The main difference is memory addressing, x86 systems (32 bit) can only address a maximum of about 4 GB RAM. If you have more RAM than that, or plan to upgrade, get the x64 version. But post your specs so that we're sure your CPU supports it.
You can remove Windows Media Center in Windows 7 by going to Add/Remove Programs and then Windows Components, as InfectionZero said.

Back
Top Bottom