Windows on USB HD

XylexRayne

Solid State Member
Please forgive me if this is a repeat of another thread. I couldnt find another one Anywhere.

Now. I have a USB Laptop HDD (7200 RPM) that is Faster than My Desktop's HDD (5400 RPM)
Ive spent the last few hours trying to figure out how to Keep the drive in NTFS and have XP run off it as if it was an Internal Drive.
I got as far as the second half of setup loading and the blue screen. I'm guessing its windows doing crap to the USB ports.

PLEASE tell me there is a way to install XP into the USB Drive without A) Spending money. B) Causing a big deal or other ideas.

Help would be awesome ASAP

never done anything like that before so I really can't say if there is any way to make it work.

But you could try taking the hdd out of the enclosure and then connecting it to the mobo with IDE or sata. Of course this would make the external hdd become internal. :p Not sure if that's what you want. And I'm not sure if that would work either, as I said I've never tried this kind of thing. But it's worth a try.

I dont have a hook up sadly for the drive to make it internal.
A good reason Why im making it External.

Apparently it doesnt work in certain occasions because as XP loads up, it disabled the USB port so it can give it it's own drivers...
Is there a way to prevent that?
Or have windows load up a RAM Drive with ramdrive.sys?

I *KNOW* theres a way to pull this off... I sadly wont take No for an awnser

Thanx for your comment :3

although it may be possible to make it so that an OS runs off a usb devise it will be slow as mollasses. it would'nt be worth the waiting, and since an OS has automatic read/writing to the HD, you may be possible to boot from an OS, but not running the OS.

it may be possible one day to have windows and linux duel booted from a usb drive, but it may take time for the manufactures to work out the copyright's.

Back
Top Bottom