Windows Updates Not Installing

Mossiac

In Runtime
Hi Guy,

The last couple of weeks my PC has had 2 Windows updates that are not installing. It says that they are and shuts down as it should, but when I turn it on again they are still there.

My Spec Is:

Version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Mother Board: GA-880GM-UD2H
CPU: AMD PhenomII X4 965 Processor, 3400Mhz, Quad Core
RAM: 16.0 GB

The updates are:

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB2656351)

Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB2600217)

Thanks for any help.

Mossiac

Open the installed updates list. Check the KB numbers against .net updates that are already installed. If they are already there just put the two that are nagging you in the ignore list.
If not installed try ohsnapword's method.

Ok so I tried them one at a time and they were still there afterwards.

That failed to work so I did the optional update (bing desktop), they were still there.

When that failed, I did a spot of digging and found that they were installed and as advised added to ignore list.

Next time I shut down, somewhat to my suprise, they were back trying to install. And still trying now.

Mossiac

Ahh these ones. Just went through the same issues on my girlfriend's laptop last month.

This is Microsoft's bug. I won't bore you with the reasons, but the solution is simple: uninstall all versions of .NET Framework currently on your computer; don't worry about dependency warnings; then install .NET Framework 4.5, which happens to be the latest version, through the installer. It might prompt you through .NET Framework 4 installation again, in which case just go through with it.

Back
Top Bottom