windows transfer

silverwing65

Baseband Member
Hi

Can I use windows transfer to transfer from win 10 to win 10.

I tried Easeus but it kept telling me that the path to my usb stick was wrong

Regards

What I meant was can I use WINDOWS EASY TRANSFER to transfer my info to another laptop with windows 10

regards

The OS as it is? Typically you cannot, unless you transfer files only; e.g. documents or raw files.

Windows installs identifying hardware, and moving it to another different build typically makes it non working. An attempt to fix it with recovery tools could work, but it's a hit or miss.

So I understand it is not the Windows itself that you want.

In that case you can use any external/removable medium big enough and preferably an HDD. Flash disks/USB sticks act weird sometimes with large files.

Such files like movies and music can just be copied directly without any special tools. Just locate them on the source computer and copy them to the external medium.

Some stuff however are better moved with special tools made for them, like browser history, tools, setting, plugins, etc. Those can be archived into single files then restored into another computer with the supported browser. Firefox for example uses Mozilla Backup.

Also software, including games', settings and progress could use the user's folders to stores stuff like saved games. The user folder (a folder called "Users" in the OS's root) should be copied to preserve those if they are important.

I hope that helps. But yes, if there is a software that can do all the above in simple steps, it should be okay. If Easeuse does that, then your problem is the USB stick. It's probably not formatted right or something. Some software refuse to use USB sticks and require actual HDD's or composite disks (CD's, DVD, etc.).

I just use a USB stick to transfer everything across. I always found Laplink, Easytransfer etc a pain in the backside. If you go to, This pc/local disk (C:)/Users/your computername you will see Documents, Desktop, Downloads, Favourites, Music, Pictures. Assuming you have stored all your files in those various folders then just copy them all to a USB stick, you will need a big one, and then copy those folders to the same location on the new PC. I do realise that does sound quite complicated but as long as you can follow a computer path it is quite easy. The path you need to follow I have highlighted in red and bolded and where I have put "your computer name" you need to go to the location that is the same as your computer name. There only two folders there, "your computer name" and "Public." Hopefully you haven't got anything in Public. Also if you have saved your files in various other places other than those folders then it can get complicated. I have to admit that reading that lot back before posting it does sound very complicated. It isn't really but have a go.

Well I used that way of referring to it because it would only be called "user" if the OP has not renamed it to something more personal. For instance my computer is called "me" because Windows asks "who will be using this computer" when I install Win 10. My answer is always "me." Can you see where I am going with this LOL. Anyway after reading that reply that I wrote I did realise that whilst I might think doing this is easy it can be very confusing trying to follow paths. I did use to take all of it when I first started with computers but as I only ever save everything in either Documents or Downloads I stopped doing that. But to be on the safe side you are right. Just save the lot.

Perhaps you mean the user specific folder? Yes, that changes to the name the user chooses. I mean the "users" folder, "user" in plural. I could be wrong, but can that folder (in the system drive root) change as per the user's preferences? I always thought it was always fixed to "users" so multiple users with different names can be added under it.

Back
Top Bottom