Windows Registry does not update

salvi

Beta member
1. I am long time user of Windows OS and am using Windows XP prof with SP3
2. I am the Administrator and sole user of computer - there are no other users.
3. I can easily instal any new softaware and download files etc.
4. I had never done Registry update using RegEdit.exe

I want to make a simple change in Windows registry
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics\MenuFont
I want to change the value F5 in key to F4 - Very easy (related to font size)
I saved it as a .reg file - very easy

When I came out and double click on the .reg file, regedit executes, gives me the warning, but the Menu font does not change.
If I go into Control panel/Display/Appearances/Menu and change font size if works.

Next I tried something even simpler.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors\MenuText
The value showing was 0 0 0 , which is for black.
Previously I had tried out red which shows up as 255 0 0 using manul Deplay/menu method and it wos changing between black (0 0 0) and Red (255 0 0).
However, when I save after editing into a .reg file, the file shows the change has occurred and save properly, but executing the .reg file does not change the MenuText to red.

I need this so that I can change the MenuText font size and colors programaticlly for the End-user, so he does not go into his control panel.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

I need this so that I can change the MenuText font size and colors programaticlly for the End-user, so he does not go into his control panel.

Making something a different size and color is going to have the exact opposite effect for the user.

If this computer is on a Windows domain, then simply block access to the control panel through a GPO for the OU where the user is located.

Perhaps I did not make things clear.
If you go into Control Panel\Display\Appearance\advanced\Menu, you can set the menu text color to say "red". Then after you "Apply" it, the Texr in the Menu instantly becomes red.
If you look using Regedit, into
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors\MenuText
you will see REG_SZ 255 0 0

Now again start with the text of your Menu as black. Go into Regedit
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors\MenuTex
and change the value to 255 0 0
It DOES NOT take into effect automatically, but IS EFFECTIVE after rebooting.

Now again start with the text of your Menu as black. Go into Regedit
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors\MenuTex
and change the value to 255 0 0
Save this hive as MenuTxtRed.reg

Execute this file from Windows Explorer, and the Menu Text DOES NOT change color. It does change color after a reboot.

I want to change the color during execution of my software running under Windows XP Pro, probably using a pre-created .reg file WITHOUT EXITING AND CERTAINLY NOT AFTER REBOOTING.

There surely is a way.

Thanks in advance.

I want to change the color during execution of my software running under Windows XP Pro, probably using a pre-created .reg file WITHOUT EXITING AND CERTAINLY NOT AFTER REBOOTING
after a change in windows ui,windows explorer must update to effect the change.
then your ways are:
1-Reboot Or Log Off windows
2-Close Explorer.exe Proccess and reopen it!
3-A Global Refresh For windows explorer. i had a mini program that make it.unfortunately i lost it.

Back
Top Bottom