Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-03-2005, 05:08 AM   #1
Solid State Member

Unhappy Windows NT Policies

I've installed computers using windows nt, these computers are going into a department, but must be so to say locked down-meaning that the local user i created (TRS)-when the user log on to the computer that he cant fiddle around with any settings including the control panel, run command, display settings ect. I don't know much about nt. Is there anyway that i can lock down a user? basicly the only thing the user must do is logon-and use the application.

gizmo084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 03:54 PM   #2
The Candyman

Default Re: Windows NT Policies

well, as long as you are the administrator, you can deside what he uses & does'nt use, you do all that through user accounts & permissions control.

Old 03-09-2005, 02:34 AM   #3
Solid State Member

Exclamation

Can you perhaps help me with the steps that i need to follow, I don't exactly know what i need to edit!!
Old 03-09-2005, 08:25 AM   #4
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to pcmxkeith Send a message via MSN to pcmxkeith Send a message via Yahoo to pcmxkeith

well not really editing but more clicking :P whats the total OS version? Like Nt4.0?... also is the systems headed by a server?
pcmxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 08:51 AM   #5
Solid State Member

Well the pc's are on the network, but in a workgroup. Windows NT 4.0 Service pack 6.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:56 AM   #6
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to pcmxkeith Send a message via MSN to pcmxkeith Send a message via Yahoo to pcmxkeith

well... i would recommened a server to run the boxes...i think that will manage better than manually setting the files and such um i would also recommend getting your self a Domain instead of a workgroup that will work better (use domain instead is you have a server)
Old 03-09-2005, 09:06 AM   #7
Solid State Member

You see that's the problem, the computers need the network to run one application, they don't need a domain, they also need restrictions-for users not to change any settings-can you help me to set restrictions on these pc that't on a workgroup-of course it wouldve been easier to put a domain in-but unfortunetly the old ones that's currently in the factory have restrictions on it-and are currently on a workgroup, but i can't trace the person who made the restrictions on those pc's, other problem is the fact that i work for a manager that wants me to put other pc's in the factory-but i'm not getting much help from him with this restrictions that i need to set on these pc's and i need to close this off. Do you know how to set restrictions on pc's that's in a workgroup?? Please i need urgent help here!!
Old 03-09-2005, 10:22 AM   #8
BSOD

How many users do you have?
Old 03-10-2005, 12:39 AM   #9
Solid State Member

there's many users, but only one that's going to login. There's a default user that i setup that's Called TRS-not setup as administrator, this is setup as a User-The many users that's using the computers are logging in as TRS with password TRS and workgroup as TRS. i need to restrict this user that's called TRS.