Windows Explorer Error on Separate Hard drives

redsoxfan

Solid State Member
Whenever I open folders in either my 2nd hard drive in my desktop computer or open a folder in my external hard drive, it will work for about 5 seconds and then freeze. Then I have to crtl alt del to close th enon responding folder on the drive. My main hard drive works perfectly and I just did a clean format a week ago. I can load a movie if i go through windows media player, so the files aren't bad, but I can't just go into the folder. It says there is a windows explorer error. anyone know any fixes??

thanks

scott

What exactly is the error. It's Windows, so it crashes all the time anyway;)
It sounds like a communication issue between your computer and the drives. It could also be fragmentation. Try going to disk management and see if the two drives your having issues with are heavily fragmented. Other than that, check the communications link between the drives.

i just checked the defrag status of it and it looked good and also said it didn't need to be defraged. it just feezes and th emouse turns into a hour glass. then a close it and the task bar dissapears. it just says windows explorer not responding

It sounds as if Windows Explorer itself may be corrupted. If you have the original installation CD, put it in the CD ROM and go to Start>Run and type "sfc /scannow" without quotes. See if this helps. If not, you can try running a repair by booting to the cd, go through the fist installation option, and when it searches for previous versions of Windows, try to repair it. Note that you will lose some programs such as Office and others, not all, but some. You will also need to enter the COA that is supposed to be on your tower somewhere, usually on the back, or on the top. The COA is a 25 digit code, mixed with letters and numbers. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom