Windows 95 error

Konkrypt

Beta member
Hello, and let me thank you in advance for helping me out if you so choose to. My problem is, I'm trying to play a game(Fallout 1 from the collection) and the graphics are very odd, random colors pop up all over the place(I think where there should be shading or whites). I was told to run it in Windows 98 with 256 colours. The problem is when I do that I get an error message saying "This program requires Windows 95 with Directx 3.0a or later". Now I have Windows 7 and the newest version of Directx. Does Windows 7 come with Windows 95 compatibility? And if not where can I get it? And if so could anyone help me out?

that compatability feature is a bit funny when it comes to games. My friend, I will say this, go get Steam, buy the game for $9.99 and run it on Win 7 with no problems. Unless you are up to the task.

Well i already payed $20 for it, so I would just like to figure out how to play it without spending anymore money on it.

Do you have any older windows (95/98/XP) installation discs? You could download VMWare Player and install the older version of Windows on there. Then you can install Fallout in the virtual machine.

Well that didn't really work. Does anyone know a way to get the 95 compatibility mode to work?

I've had similar problems with a game called Thief. Fabulous games, especially when you are into the middle ages (sort of). Anyhow, for the life of me I could not get it to work. I mean I've tried for years... finally... a separate partition on my hard drive with Win98 installed did the trick. That was the only way for me. VM's didn't work because the game required 3D acceleration. Although I've heard that VMWare possibly does give you 3D accel, not sure about this.

Anyhow, you could spend the next x amount of weeks trying to figure it out or $9.99 lets you play immediately.

Do you have any older windows (95/98/XP) installation discs? You could download VMWare Player and install the older version of Windows on there. Then you can install Fallout in the virtual machine.

Or if your running windows 7 pro, you can get XP mode, which I've used to get around compatibility mode on a few games, aka the Army Men series :)

Back
Top Bottom