Windows 8 wont connect to wifi

Jdsmitty10

Solid State Member
I just got a Sony Vaio laptop with windows 8. I used the free virus protection that came on it until it expired. Now I am using Norton since it is provided by comcast. I am having issues connecting to my wifi. It says Limited or no connection almost every time I open the laptop. I can restart and get connected again usually. I even reset my modem and router and got connected fine. Right now I type this from the laptop only because I disabled the Norton Firewall. Could it be the Norton security causing my connection issues? I am able to use Wifi on my iphone fine so I know it is not my network. I tried troubleshooting it and got the message about an invalid ip. Any help is appreciated to get rid of this frustrating issue with my brand new pc. I tried some TCP/IP stack repair I found on a google search with no luck either. Thank you

I uninstalled norton last night and set up defender.internet was working last night. Wake up this morning and open the laptop and can't connect AGAIN! This is getting frustrating with a brand new comp.. Any other suggestions to get a stable connection to my wifi when opening the laptop to use it? The wifi signal is full and it says connected but when I open the browser in both Firefox and IE I get a "server not found". Uninstalling norton was suggested by other forums...

I left the laptop open and reset the router and modem and now it's connected. But I typed all this and sent it on my iPhone on the WIFI before resetting it wtf?!? So basically the laptop is showing connected with a full signal but won't load up web pages... I have been able to get it to load web pages by either a router reset or restart of the computer... What can I do to avoid this every time?
Thank you!

Last edited:
Sleep or hibernation appears to keep the connection when it really isn't. In the router check the lease time on the IP and extend it out to the max available.
I'm thinking while the laptop is snoozing the lease runs out forcing you to have to log out and back in. When the laptop is awake the lease time gets automatically renewed.

Ok I will give that a try. How do I do that? Do I need to install the router software into this computer? The software is on my desktop which is about shot. Is that how I adjust router settings? Or can I adjust them after being connected to wifi and clicking on the router under network connections?
Thanks!

Oh and I am thinking you might be onto something because today I was connected fine after the router reset. Shut the laptop for probably 20 min then tested it and it was still connected. But later on after a longer hibernation it was not connected again

I think I fixed it. I went into network adapter settings then into power management. I unchecked the box that said about allowing powering down the adapter. I woke up those morning and the Internet worked! Thanks for the help and suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom