Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-15-2013, 02:01 AM   #1
Daemon Poster

Default Windows 8 for someone not familar with any OS

There are many comparitive studies out there on the pitfalls of Windows 8 for the average computer user. This is not one of them.

I want to explore how suitable Windows 8 is for someone who has very little knowledge with any OS -- minimal previous habits; knows how to operate the left button of the mouse and the keyboard, but that's about it.

So, as an introduction to a laptop, for everyday usage, i.e., e-mails, Skype, simple word processing, do you still think Windows 8 is a good idea? I tend to think so because of the huge, arguably intuitive app-like starter menu, but I would like to hear more opinion.

I am guessing that the laptop must have touchscreen to bring out the full potential of Windows 8. Am I mistaken?

Thanks for your input in advance.

dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
xxcobraxx

Default Re: Windows 8 for someone not familar with any OS

What you said at the very last bit pretty much adds the whole article up.

I would suggest windows 8 if you have a touch screen, you're spot on

Windows 7 is still an A from me, windows 8 on the other hand, I don't think they support everything yet, still some bug's I'm assuming. MS seem to be lifting off with touch now, so future reference it could be a good idea for 8 but you still lie with problems occurring more then 7, I'd still go with 8, especially with the future.

IAntDemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

I personally don't agree with those that claim that Win 8 is only usable on a touchscreen. I have used Win 8 with a mouse and keyboard since the very first preview was made available and find that Win 8 is completely usable with mouse and keyboard, no less difficult than any other GUI based OS.

I've also used Win 8 briefly with a touchscreen monitor and immediately disliked using it via touchscreen. I don't like to have to remove my hand from the keyboard to touch/swipe something on the screen then bring my hand back down to the keyboard to type. IMO, touchscreen works well only for content consumption devices such as a tablet, using it on a device like a PC for content creation is counterproductive.

I think whatever OS a person learns to use first becomes the standard for comparison with any OS they come to thereafter. If someone with no previous OS experience was introduced to Win 8 they would find it no harder or easier to use than Win 7.
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
xxcobraxx

Nobody here said you can't use W8 without k/m, the whole reason windows 8 came out was due to touch, they designed it for touch, it's aimed mostly for touch users.
IAntDemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

I was responding to this: "I am guessing that the laptop must have touchscreen to bring out the full potential of Windows 8. Am I mistaken?"
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:57 AM   #6
Daemon Poster

I just want to say thank you first because it is taking longer than I expected with the choosing. There is a computer show coming up soon. Hopefully things will finalise quickly!

dale is offline   Reply With Quote