Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-11-2013, 05:44 AM   #1
Beta Member
Default Windows 8 fails to work after refreshing system files

Yesterday, I decided to use the "Refresh system files" option from PC settings after I noticed a degradation in the overall performance of Windows 8. After it finished, Windows 8 no longer started up properly.
After logging in, all I would see is a black screen with no way to interact with the Desktop. I could no longer launch the Start screen, even from the Windows key. When I shift my cursor to the upper right corner, I do not see options like "Share" and "Start". Sometimes, I get a Blue Screen before Windows 8 manages to launch.
When I go to Automatic Repair, it tells me that "Windows could not load properly." I attempted to use System Restore to go back to a restore point several times, but it just hangs.

I tried to indirectly boot Windows through the Linux Ubuntu boot menu. I had two options to boot: Windows 8 and Windows 8 recovery mode. Both options gave me this Windows Boot Manager error:

Windows Boot Manager
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.
File: \Boot\BCD
Info: The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors.

Since I have no possible option to modify the Boot Configuration Data, I figured that fully reinstalling Windows 8 is the only feasible solution.
However, my laptop came with a preinstalled Windows 8, and I have no Windows 8 Installation/Recovery Disk or similar.
How do I go about reinstalling Windows 8? Am I supposed to buy a new Windows 8 Disk?

Eduard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
Fully Optimized
Default Re: Windows 8 fails to work after refreshing system files

You should contact the manufacturer and get them to send you a recovery disk if your laptop didn't come with one.

But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.
cboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
Default Re: Windows 8 fails to work after refreshing system files

Are you 100% sure you can't modify the configuration for the bios by pressing f1 or f2 or del on system go.

Because windows 8 uses UEFI, so you'll need to disable this in bios, and use legacy mode, also turn off the secure boot, you'll need admin rights, so you'll need to set a password in bios if you already haven't.

This is the only way to boot from a cd if it's windows 7 or below you want on, or linux.
IAntDemo is offline   Reply With Quote