Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Windows 8?

Hey there,

I was wondering if anybody knew if there was a site where I could download windows 8 for free. Thanks for your answers

Deadshot1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Windows 8?

All of the preview versions have expired so you will not be able to download Windows 8.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
Beta Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSnapWord View Post
All of the preview versions have expired so you will not be able to download Windows 8.
ok,

do you know if I can download the full version of windows 7?
Deadshot1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
Golden Master

Yes all preview versions have now expired and you now have to buy a copy of it..
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

I can download Windows 7 and 8 for free off Dreamspark, but that's because I'm a technical studies student.

But no, if you're not a computer related student, there's no way to get Windows 7 or 8 free legally unless someone gives their legal copy to you.
Jesusfrk611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:07 AM   #6
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesusfrk611 View Post
I can download Windows 7 and 8 for free off Dreamspark, but that's because I'm a technical studies student.

But no, if you're not a computer related student, there's no way to get Windows 7 or 8 free legally unless someone gives their legal copy to you.
I was able to do that last year but it stopped working. Yes that's right..
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:34 AM   #7
Omnicide now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesusfrk611 View Post

I didn't think this was allowed, so I looked it up. Here's what Microsoft has to say on the matter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows 7 EULA
Software Other Than Windows Anytime Upgrade. The first
user of the software may make a one time transfer of the
software and this agreement, by transferring the original
media, the certificate of authenticity, the product key and
the proof of purchase directly to a third party. The first user
must remove the software before transferring it separately
from the computer. The first user may not retain any
copies of the software.
So yes, that is possible. Just once though, and only on retail versions since the OEM ones are locked to specific hardware. Also if they did the windows 8 upgrade, the key will still be in use, so again it won't work.

If you really want a free operating system, there are plenty out there. Ubuntu would probably be the easiest for someone who isn't very into computers, though I don't like how bloated the newer versions feel. Personally, I like debian, but you need to be comfortable using a terminal to really be able to get full use out of it.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
I didn't think this was allowed, so I looked it up. Here's what Microsoft has to say on the matter:

So yes, that is possible. Just once though, and only on retail versions since the OEM ones are locked to specific hardware. Also if they did the windows 8 upgrade, the key will still be in use, so again it won't work.

If you really want a free operating system, there are plenty out there. Ubuntu would probably be the easiest for someone who isn't very into computers, though I don't like how bloated the newer versions feel. Personally, I like debian, but you need to be comfortable using a terminal to really be able to get full use out of it.
Yeah, you can't give someone a keycode currently in use. It either has to be uninstalled from a computer or never have been activated in the first place. You can technically transfer a retail copy to any computer as many times as you want as long as it's uninstalled from the previous system.

I reinstall and reactivate my retail copies of Windows every now and then. Sometimes I move computers around and change their use and change the operating system which requires moving the keycode to another computer. MS really isn't going to say, "Hey, that's the third computer that copy has been on." as long as the copy is no longer on any other computer.

But yes, OEM copies are stuck to the motherboard they are activated on. To transfer that you have to sell the computer, or at least motherboard to someone else.

I never could get into Linux. I really tried, but just not enough compatibility with programs I use.

Jesusfrk611 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
download, free, software, windows