Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 05:32 AM   #1
Fully Optimized

Default Windows 8

its been said that microsoft started work on Win8 before they even released Win7. People have said it will be 128-bit compatible. Do you guys think capable processors will be manufactured in time to actually be used at 128-bit?

this seems to suggest launch times too...

so, what do you guys think of such rumours? i personally think, because windows 7 was good, windows 8 will be the next Vista.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:40 AM   #2
Baseband Member

Send a message via AIM to Rickeh69 Send a message via MSN to Rickeh69
Default Re: Windows 8

Windows 8 is what will end the world or whatever that superstition is.

It will set off multiple nukes/atomics and end humanity as we know it due to Bill Gates being mad at the activator's that came out shortly after beta release of Windows 7, even though he said that this version of Windows will be extremely hard to authorize illegally.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:17 PM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

Well, Microshaft did say they wanted to release an OS every 2 years so I would say that the next release is already well underway.

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Old 02-01-2010, 12:23 AM   #4
Guru

I have a feeling that Microsoft's next OS will be very successful. A company of such size and success would not repeat the same mistake twice. I don't think processors will be quite ready to utilize x128, and software will be even further from reaching it. Right now, there's a big lag between processors and software. Intel is doubling the amount of cores in their processors every 2 years or so. Software companies have barely started working on four-threaded applications. Intel needs to expand their processor research to include other things than just raw power. They need to focus in new and better technology (something that will revolutionize computing).

So, yes, I got off track. But I'll summarize my answer: No, I don't think Microsoft will develop x128, but I think they'll have a successful OS. I don't think Intel, or AMD, will have launched x128.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
Site Team

How on earth can people say whether they think windows 8 will be good or bad? We haven't seen any previews, details or anything. I'm sure it is underway but I don't think anyone here has enough information to formulate a decent opinion on it.

As for 128 bit - no, I highly doubt we'll see true 128 bit processors for the next version of windows. There's just no call for them yet. There's enough memory addressing potential in a 64 bit processor to reference all the data currently stored on this planet. Will we run into that limit someday? Perhaps. Will we run into it by the time Microsoft release their next OS?

...not unless it's exponentially more delayed than Vista we won't!

What we may see however are processors with 128 bit SSE registers. This enables higher precision floating point calculations to be performed natively, which could well be an advantage and is in use in some processors already. That doesn't make it a "proper" 128 bit processor though. No chance of seeing those anytime soon.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeh69 View Post
Windows 8 is what will end the world or whatever that superstition is.

It will set off multiple nukes/atomics and end humanity as we know it due to Bill Gates being mad at the activator's that came out shortly after beta release of Windows 7, even though he said that this version of Windows will be extremely hard to authorize illegally.
Just add AI into the mix and we'll have the plot of the Terminator movies...
Old 02-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #7
Golden Master

Windows 8 being 128-it was a rumor. It's false, and even if they did that, it'd be stupid...we don't even get the 64-bit's full capabilities yet. I wouldn't be suprised if it's a 64-bit only OS though.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:53 AM   #8
Solid State Member

Yeah, softwares barely uses the full potential of 64-Bit. I don't think that we will have 128-Bit OS so soon.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:54 PM   #9
Daemon Poster

Send a message via ICQ to The_Lucas Send a message via MSN to The_Lucas Send a message via Yahoo to The_Lucas

128-bit will probably be in use in 2018 or 2020, based on the 16, 32, and 64-bit intervals. Wow, we've just got x64 and we're already going nuts about any rumors of 128-bit platforms. Let's go back to when x86 was being rumored... Some things never change.
http://lucasbytegeni.us
Quote:
Originally Posted by krone6 View Post
Doesn't "loatheing" something the same as "love?" Whenever i hear it be used the person "loves" that product or service or whatever it is they're talking about.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:07 AM   #10
Golden Master

You can't post in old threads buddy. There's a few that we allow, but normal threads like this one isn't allowed.

Sooo...*thread closed*

Oh and...I agree with you...128-bit is kind of rushed. They should at leat take the x64 platform close to bottlenecking.

Closed Thread