Windows 7 upgrade on new install

southpaw5000

Beta member
Hi all, first post.
OK I will try to give as much information on my issue as I can. I built a new rig about 2 years ago and installed windows vista. Recently when I installed a new game (Rift Beta) I was experiencing BSoD randomly while in game. After troubleshooting with no success I decided to wipe my HD and do a clean install which I was goingto do anyway when the game released.

After many issues and frustration I managed to get vista to install but would not update all necessary updates. I am also not able to get hte BIOS to detect any drives no matter what I set in the BIOS on my asus maximus MB.

OK Im sick of this POS OS so I buy the windows 7 upgrade and install without any issues other than the BIOS not detecting. So I have to F1 everytime I turn on the system.

OK I am passed this and going to purchase a new MB, CPU, RAM, and GPU. Now my question is, can I install my old vista copy and use my windows 7 upgrade in my upgraded rig, or do I have to buy another damn copy ow my brand new windows 7?

I hope I provided enough information to get a solid answer.

Thank You for enduring my noobness.

Welcome to CF!

Legally, once you change out the motherboard, then you have to purchase a new copy of Windows. However, I know that if you explain the situation to Microsoft, they can sometimes be a little forgiving and provide a new activation code.

Back
Top Bottom