Windows 7 Ultimate advise

Moren0

Baseband Member
This are my current desktop specs would I be able to run Windows 7 Ultimate? I know dumb question.

AMD Athlon(tm) 64*2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
984 MHz, 960 MB of Ram

currently running on widows xp but i want to upgrate to 7 any help is much appreciated!

Hey,

It looks like it will be pushing it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/systemrequirements said:
If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:

• 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

• 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

• 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

• DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

You are slightly less than 1Gb RAM (Presumably as your onboard video is stealing some)
Your CPU is also slower than the recommended 1Ghz, however I will say that that's terrible information from MS as a 1Ghz Pentium 3 or 2 processor is a completely differently ball game to a 1Ghz Dual core . . . . .

I don't know if these specs from MS are an absolute it won't even let you install on anything less or it will let you install but just not run very good?

My advice would be, if for "some" reason you have a "spare" copy of Windows 7 laying around, I would try and dual boot it along with Windows XP, that way if it doesn't let you install or if it just doesn't run well at all then you can simply just boot back into Windows XP.

If you are looking at going out to purchase Windows 7 then I wouldn't bother I would wait until you had a better spec'd machine to install it on.

I have successfully installed and ran Win 7 Pro on a 1Ghz P3 with 512M of RAM. Your computer should be able to handle Win 7 but, as has already been stated, the performance will suffer. I would recommend that you stay with XP on the machine but, if you decide to proceed, install more RAM.

Thanks for the replies very helpful, I did the windows 7 compatibility test and it looks like its going to work. Well lets hope MS is right... Thanks Again!

Back
Top Bottom