Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-28-2014, 01:10 PM   #1
Daemon Poster
Default Windows 7 Sleep Mode

Hey guys,

Long time. Got my father an HP EliteBook for his birthday. Amazing laptop and great specs, but the battery life isn't nearly as good as it was originally claimed. Either way, I'm waiting for the first few days of updates and tweaks to go away, and then I'll give the battery a real test.

Main issue: sleep mode. He's used to closing the lid of his old MacBook Air, leaving it on the table, coming back to it, opening it, almost no battery drain, etc.

Now, with this 9480M model, he closes the lid and the laptop enters sleep mode (not hibernate). It looks like, on some days, he can lose ~5-10% of battery life in an hour alone.

I remember hibernate being a real PITA on my PC back in the day. It would take a looong time to get back to full speed... almost felt like the computer was lethargic for a few minutes after coming back from hibernate.

Are there any settings that can be tweaked (advanced power management settings) that can make a difference here? Alternatively, should he just use hibernate instead of sleep?

Intel Q6600 @ 3204Mhz ~ Tuniq Tower 120 ~Corsair XMS2 5GB ~ WD VelociRaptor 150GB Main ~ WD 1TB Black ~ EVGA 8800GTS 640MB ~ 7 Home Premium (64-Bit)
GhostGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:24 AM   #2
Fully Optimized
Default Re: Windows 7 Sleep Mode

Perhaps someone here that is proficient in Mac can help, but last time I used one, I did not see a way...

Bumping this thread for the OP...

Working on new projects and expanding our horizons. Come by and see what we're up to now. www.multirotorplatforms.com/forum.php
Draygoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:32 AM   #3
Fully Optimized
Default Re: Windows 7 Sleep Mode

Don't know about the sleep mode power usage issue
But here are some tips.

It's properly already set to the following mode, but just to be sure. Make sure the power mode is at "balance".
Performance mode is useless and takes more power. Can't believe windows even have this mode. If someone knows a reason to use it, let me know. (and don't give me that, "it's because of it performance better in performance more". No it doesn't. benchmark it)

You can get 2 % extra battery by reducing "received battery" from 7 to 5. 5 is enough.
Take away 1 or more multiplier(s) from the CPU. you can do that by reducing the % on the MAX processor state. this will reduce CPU performance though.

An SSD will also help save power beside making the system much faster.
You properly also knew that
MOBO: Asus Maximus 6 Hero - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980ti xtreme - CPU: I7-4770K - PSU: Corsair AX760
RAM: Corsair Vantage 2x4GB - SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 512GB - Case: NZXT H440
BikerEcho is offline   Reply With Quote