Windows 7 reformat - Will my software RAID be affected?

foothead

Omnicide now.
Hi everyone, first post here in quite a while. I've been considering upgrading my HTPC, and was wondering if I'm going to run into problems with my Hard drives. I have a 2TB Caviar green and a 1.5TB 7200.11 "spanned" in Windows 7 (It's the option that makes Windows present them as a single 3.5TB volume), and the actual OS is on a separate 160GB drive. Basically, I'm worried that when I reinstall Windows 7 on the 160GB drive, it won't be able to recognize the spanned volume and will force me to reformat. I've googled this quite a bit, but nobody seems to know.

As long as you don't touch that spanned volume, windows should pick up on it due to identifiers that Windows puts on the boot record. I used software RAID 5 and had to install Windows on the host system drive and it found the RAID 5 setup without an issue.

i agree with og as ive done this as well, but can you backup the data before you try this?? I guess not as that could be alot of data

As long as you don't touch that spanned volume, windows should pick up on it due to identifiers that Windows puts on the boot record. I used software RAID 5 and had to install Windows on the host system drive and it found the RAID 5 setup without an issue.

Excellent. Thanks for you help.

i agree with og as ive done this as well, but can you backup the data before you try this?? I guess not as that could be alot of data

Can't back it up. There's around 2.75 TB worth of stuff on that drive.

Back
Top Bottom