Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se
Default windows 7 on netbook

so im thinking about putting windows 7 on this netbook im using but with no cd drive and only a 4gb ssd its becoming an issue. my best idea was to get a lite version of windows 7 (around 700mb), create a new partition, and stick the install files on that new partition, and install windows 7 over xp on the original partition.

the only problem is, all of the copies of windows 7 lite are in bootable cd format, so not sure if it would work (not sure if there a setup.exe file...)

will i be able to extract the iso and run the setup from within windows or not? if its too much hassle ill just leave it, as it works well enough on xp, was more of a boredom killer

Old 11-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to arsenalbates
Wink Re: windows 7 on netbook

Yes I would have thought so however I would keep XP on your system with that small amount of storage space. That is amazingly small. Also dont forget about programs you may install.

arsenalbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team

Default Re: windows 7 on netbook

Why not make a USB bootable and drag n drop the install files to that? Boot from USB and WHam! Windows 7
Old 11-16-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se

you mean install an os to a usb drive and boot off that, or use a usb stick instead of a cd to install it?

this netbook had ubuntu on before xp, so i had to use the latter method above to put xp on it which took ages. i just figured installing it straight from the hdd would be easier. as for having an on on a usb.... id rather just have it all on the internal hard drive, else i might aswell stick with xp.

i know 4gb is not a lot of space, but right now its running a full version of xp (stripped down versions wouldnt work with the method i was using for the usb), and ive got a couple of things on it and it works well enough, so getting a lite version of windows 7 will take the same, if not less space.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
xxcobraxx

if you're installing off another HDD which is possible it is really a slow method.. I think the best bet is to stick to windows xp, 7 with only cause it to become slower because it's not built for windows 7

goodluck
Old 11-18-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
Baseband Member

It works with my Acer Aspire OneD260! and it's running Windows 7 Ultimate w/ 2gb of ram (160Gb HDD)
123386761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:32 AM   #7
Baseband Member

You could perhaps also look at some kind of dual boot scenario and then you can keep your windows 7 install. I think its easiest solution is to partition beforehand. Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer - supplied diagnostic or setup program. Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3

Rackmountsales is offline   Reply With Quote