WINDOWS 7 Installation Error

Tufcustomer

Solid State Member
Hey Guys,

I have this really frustrating issue when I am attempting to install a 64bit version of Windows 7. Every time the installation gets to the point where it is "Expanding Windows File" it hangs at 98 or 99 percent for a good 30 minutes before telling me that files are missing or corrupt. I believe its the CRC error accord to my google findings. Anyway, I attempted to install with 2GB onboard as opposed to my usual 4GB as per the recommendations of other forums but still no luck. Any suggestions? I really want to get Windows 7 up and going by tonight. I'm installing via dvd and am not formatting the drive so that I get the windows old folder in the new install. SO FRUSTRATED. HAVE TRIED LIKE 3 times :pcmad:

Last edited:
Oh, and I ran windows 7 upgrade advisor before this and my pc is compatible and the error code is 0x80070017

If this doesn't help, just allow Windows to format the drive. You don't need "Old Windows", as long as you have a solid back up of your data. Oh, and I'm assuming that you are not running some pirated version of the OS.

How To Fix 0x80070017 Error?

It's legit. This utility that you have mentioned, do I run it on my previous os before installation if the new one? The only reason I'm hesitating to format the drive is that should the install still fail I have no os to fall back since the other was an oem install

Last edited:
Novice Computer User Solution (completely automated):
1) Download () repair utility.
2) Install program and click Scan button.
3) Click the Fix Errors button when scan is completed.
4) Restart your computer.

Two possibilities:
  • Windows is trying to re-use the previous kernel files
    Download, burn and boot from DBAN , wipe the drive clean (single pass)
  • Harddrive is corrupt
    You can put the drive in another PC or
    boot from install CD
    press shift+f10 at select language screen
    navigate to the D drive | type "d:"
    run checkdisk | type "chkdsk /r/f"

Back
Top Bottom