Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-03-2015, 07:33 AM   #11
Wizard of Wires
Default Re: Windows 7 install question

Originally Posted by ~mr mixx~ View Post
Hey guys i have a couple of questions that i hope someone could help me with. Ok so i have a spare laptop that needs a hard drive, wich i will replace.

Ok so here's my question. where can i download an ISO of Windows 7? The Digital River site does not allow the downloading of Windows 7 anymore.

And my second question is, when i do in fact install Windows 7 onto the laptop, can i use the code on the sticker on the bottom of the laptop to activate Windows?

Thanks for the help in advance guys.
I've done that before and it took the key. The catch is the key is set to a certain type of windows. If it had win7 home premium on it to start with then the key will only activate a win7 home premium OS.
If you try to use it to active a different version of win7, it will squawk. It will let you know the key is not valid. It won't rat you out to MS, it just lets you know the key doesn't work.

Oh and another thing is to write the key down as it appears on the sticker just in case you need to reinstall the OS for some reason. The sticker gets worn even with normal use and gets to the point you can't read it. Then you're screwed.

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:18 PM   #12
The Candy Man
Default Re: Windows 7 install question

Thanks Setishock, yea it's always a good thing to write down the code on the sticker before it gets worn out. i have an old laptop where the sticker wore off and i can't use the code on it to reinstall Windows....it sucks, but sooner or later i will just have to buy the OS dvd.

" Let the music move you "
~mr mixx~ is offline   Reply With Quote