Windows 7 Hibernate on the fritz?

devildog3543

Beta member
Ok so I'm old school and have been holding on to XP forever and have just recently jumped into Windows 7. Not bad I like the features yada yada.. I put my new rig into hibernate and when I push the power to boot up I freeze up on the BIOS Logo screen and I cant do diddly squat.

The first time this happened I powered down a few times and it eventually gave in. This second time I had to undo my SLI, remove all but 1 stick of ram, unplug my RAID configuration and clear BIOS and even then I had to clear BIOS a couple of times before it stopped freezing and gave me my check sum error.

I hooked everything back up rebooted was able to get into BIOS reconfigured my settings and now I'm gold.

Any idea what caused this? Is there a problem with hibernate that I'm not aware of with specific hardware or configurations? Like I said I'm old school but I didn't just fall off the turnip truck and this just has me stumped!

Yeah you have something funky going on.

Windows 7 Hibernation mode is pretty rock solid compared to previous versions

I guess my question is why are you even seeing a bios screen coming out of hibernation. You shouldn't be seeing this.

Do you have a BIOS operated Powersave option that could be conflicting with Windows powersave mode?

Edit: FYI for windows 7 the default button to power up from hibernation is the "Enter" key

Good question, First off let me post my system specs it might give some insight:

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer MSI
Model MS-7578
Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 699 GB
Disk partition (C: 79 GB Free (103 GB Total)
Media drive (D: CD/DVD
Disk partition (E: 570 GB Free (596 GB Total)

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Total available graphics memory 2303 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 512 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1791 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.15.11.8634
Primary monitor resolution 1280x1024
DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet

My graphics adapter is x2 SLI, and E: is running RAID 0

Now just glancing at my MOBO documentation, it supports APS (active phase switching) which indicate the current CPU power phase mode and I'm not quite sure what that is but i'll have to look into it to see if its causing conflicts.

Now here's something to ponder. I built two machines with identical specs as posted above. The only difference between the two is one is running RAID 0 through software and the other is RAID 0 HW...The one running software RAID can come in and out of Hibernate no problem.:confused: and yet everything else is completely the same...to my knowledge....I havent adjusted any power saving features.:confused:

Is this Hibernate where your computer saves itself and shuts down? Or is this Standby, where you have a blinking or pulsing power light? Disenchanterx has me confused that the enter key powers it up. Or is this Hybrid Sleep, which goes into Standby and saves your computer's state so if you lose power everything's OK?

Back
Top Bottom