Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-02-2015, 09:53 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default windows 7 claiming it's not genuine when it is

I have an old windows xp laptop that's capable with windows vista/7 (the laptop itself has windows vista capable sticker on it) and I recently purchased a genuine cd of windows 7 from a computer store awhile ago. And installed it immediately when I got home. It was working fine until today it's telling me it's an illegal copy. Does anyone know how to fix this? Well legally of course
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0415.jpg (65.6 KB, 8 views)

lello01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:56 AM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: windows 7 claiming it's not genuine when it is

Did the CD come with a product to activate Windows, You can check on the activation status by following the instructions in this link How can I tell if Windows 7 is activated? and this what it should look like.

BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:30 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

How did you get on with this lello, did it work for you?

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:40 AM   #4
Solid State Member

I got it working for now which is good. It's a genuine copy and I spoke to the computer store where I purchased it from they claim it was genuine and said they get nothing but genuine and good quality products. I tried to validate like the previous comment suggested but it didn't work so as I was shutting it down and give up on it and let someone else look at it for me window's said it had 111 updates and let it download and when I restarted the laptop and waited for it to finish configuring the whole thing went away likeas if it was all good now
lello01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:01 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

If that activation didn't work, it should have asked you to do it over the phone (don't be put off, its an automated system, just follow the instructions).

Though it looks like it's activated if you're not having any problems with it! If you have any other questions just let us know, the drivers are usually the awkward bit...
-J

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:40 AM   #6
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Do you have all of the windows updates available? While not common, it's not unheard of where windows updates can cause false-flags like this that future updates fix.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:01 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

This could be a false warning from a virus, as well. Please run through the following steps so that we can confirm it is activated correctly...:

MGA Diagnostic Report:

To properly analyze and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the diagnostic report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )

Once downloaded, run the tool.

Click on the Continue button, after a short time, the Continue button will change to a Copy button.

Click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your post.

Bahawolf is offline   Reply With Quote