First my system specs are:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM (1333)
OS Hard Drive: OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD
Backup Drive Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2TB
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series
Motherboard: Asus P8H67-M Pro
Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_gdr.130531-1504)
BIOS: BIOS Date: 04/20/12 10:17:49 Ver: 37.01
Previous BIOS version was from 2010 (0307)

So when i had Windows 7 installed it takes about 15 seconds to be useable from a cold boot.

Windows 8 takes around 35 seconds. I don't get why. Thought 8 was supposed to be faster. If I enable fast boot it takes around the same time as 7. But then I have to leave hibernation on and that takes so many GB of disk space (60GB OCZ SSD). Plus it's pretty much usless in my case as I always power off at the wall when I go to sleep.

I had to update my Bios for fast boot to even work. That was a nightmare in itself. After the bios update. No display. Had to remove my GPUs and pull the CMOS and connect to onboard graphics... Eventually found a bios that flashed fully succesfully.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to make WIndows 8 boot faster without fastboot?

Dell Inspiron 9400 Notebook 120GB 5400RPM SATA HDD, 500GB 7200RPM SATA External HDD, DVD+-RW, DVD+-RW External, Mobile Intel Calistoga i945PM, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GhZ, 2GB DDR2-667MhZ Dual Channel SDRAM, Nvidia GeForce GO 7900 GS 256MB Single-Pipe.
TinyXP Rev05, PerfectDisk, TuneUp Utilities, Window Washer, Nod32, Bo-Clean, SuperAntiSpyware Pro, Spyware Blaster, Comodo Firewall Pro.
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: Windows 7 boots faster than Windows 8 - No idea why

to be honest, because windows 8 is a horrible OS and all of the differenct nonsense services windows 8 uses makes it that much slower. I saw that Windows 8.1 came out, try that. It looks so much nicer and you dont have to do "research" to try and figure out how to shutdown your computer.

briggs&straton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team

^ False, false, and yes, 8.1 is out.

Also, the shutdown process hasn't changed at all.

-----------------------------------

@OP
Did you upgrade from 7 to 8 or was it a clean install?
Old 11-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggs&straton View Post
to be honest, because windows 8 is a horrible OS and all of the differenct nonsense services windows 8 uses makes it that much slower. I saw that Windows 8.1 came out, try that. It looks so much nicer and you dont have to do "research" to try and figure out how to shutdown your computer.
Windows 8 isn't a horrible OS, It just isn't really for non-touchscreen computers, It is more for computers with touchscreens and tablets. Have you actually tried it out for yourself, I tested it in a dualboot setup on my laptop with Windows 7 and apart from a BSOD from boot related issues it worked fine. These tests that someone performed against Windows 7 in a few tests proves that Windows 8 boots a like quicker http://usabilitygeek.com/windows-8-v...mance-testing/
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
xxcobraxx

what ever happened to switching the pc/laptop on, going for a pee/make a drink come back to find computer is on?

This worlds getting very inpatient.
IAntDemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:18 AM   #6
In Runtime

I have tried it, It took me the longest time to figure out how to even shut it down. I mean yes, the OS looks great and all but TOO much of a change. 8.1 is great just used it last night, a huge difference from regular win 8. Also the head creater getting fired..
Microsoft's man in charge of creating Windows 8, Steven Sinofsky, was fired today! Is it because Windows 8 sucks so bad? - Brian Madden - BrianMadden.com

See you have MAC, great looking computer you use it for a while because the people that use it have been for a long time. When Apple comes out with new OS they dont really re-engineer the whole thing. Make great updates and new software. Like even the IOS yes it looks different but pretty much still the same. I feel that thats what Microsoft should do. Sorry if im just talking out of my ass.. I just really dislike Windows 8 for some reason.
briggs&straton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #7
Beta Member

Window 8 is faster the window 7 that for real
soulkeeper71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
xxcobraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulkeeper71 View Post
Window 8 is faster the window 7 that for real
Yes with the latest hardware indeed, wouldn't go to far tho, it's like people said xp was faster then vista, true, but only with a single core, add dual core, vista runs faster then xp, so to be quite honest, it depends what hardware you're using and if it's old/new.

IAntDemo is offline   Reply With Quote