Windows 7

If you are properly signed up for testing you can still download the 7000 builds being a member of the MS connect. I have the Home Premium builds already on and downloading Server 2008 beta as we speak. But any newer builds are strictly available for the regular MS testers under signed agreements there.

The whole pinning programs to the task bar is pretty much the Dock in Mac OSX, and some of the cool features are from Linux.
Its the same thing as the QuickLaunch (around since windows '98 i believe), just bigger icons. You should hear the mac fanboys rant about it. It is still the taskbar, and functions just like the taskbar always has, it just doesnt have labels and app grouping is on by default. If the taskbar started to suck at window management we can start to compare it to the dock :p
The backward compatibility for older games and softwares is actually improved in 7 over Vista there. A simple right click on the installer's executable sees to that.
I love this feature. I tried running some old apps on the beta when it was just released and didnt even notice that in the menu. I tried changing the settings by hand but it didnt work, then i noticed the troubleshooter. All of my programs have worked since. After the updates to 7 i dont even need the compatibility mode for most apps, they all run normally.

In XP and Vista you only see the compatibility mode tab when right clicking while this creates new registry entries to set the mode even if you don't run the installer on the spot. It's also good for troubleshooting when you get something on ok but it simply won't run as it should.

With the older quick launch bar option you had a limited amount of space to drag the tab across each time a new icon was added there. With 7's taskbar you simply unlock the bar in the right click properties and have the entire bar upto the notification area to use for anything you pin onto it.

The interesting they did there was add that as well as the pin to start menu option to the right click menu right below the troubleshooter. easy to find, easy to use.

Back
Top Bottom